Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy After Vasectomy

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM
  • 17 Replies

My husband and I were talking with his brothers and they were talking about how my husband had a vasectomy and how if I got pregnant he would really be upset and start questioning me about what I've been doing. I get that obviously me not being "fixed" means that I could be screwing around but I got highly offended that he knows I'm NEVER alone at home (my mom lives with us) and I never leave the house without him! So how the hell could I physically cheat! But whatever I think its mostly that I read that women get pregnant after having gotten their tubes done and it still happens so I never thought about if it so happened that I got pregnant while he had his vasectomy it would be a massive issue between us. 

I brought up the idea about two weeks ago that I'm not certain I don't want more. I know we got it done but we have one and lately I don't know. Its ALL I think about. I've been trying to avoid it but I have nothing but baby on the brain. Our son is now 5 and he asks for a sibling and he would be a great big brother and I just feel like I don't know I'm not done? I thought I was I really did. So I explained to him that I've been thinking about this and ever since I've sort of been hoping that it didn't work and hoping if I hoped hard enough (ya know mind over matter) it might work (I'm not delusional I know this won't likely work but worth a shot isn't it?) We've been talking about it and I think we both want to reverse it. 

After a lot of research though it costs SO much to do! Upwards of $6000-15000!! WHOA! We paid out of pocket to have the vasectomy done. We would have to pay out of pocket to have this done. It was only a $1000 to do it! I guess I was young and stupid to not look into reversal but someone said if you want this done don't even bother look into reversal because it hardly works and don't do it if your not sure. I was at the time. So I didn't. 

Long story short. How many stories have you heard of pregnancies happening after a vasectomy? My husband had it done in 07' there's always stories of women getting pregnant after getting their tubes done but hardly any of men is it really that slim? I don't mean people who don't wait to get doctors clearance though. My husband was deemed 'safe' by his doctors after 2 tests.

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aamommy2011
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM

i cant say ive heard of any, but i bet its super rare, just like getting a tubal and then getting pregnant is rare.

adove01
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM
My hubby's little sister was conceived after vasectomy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NearSeattleMom
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:43 AM

I don't personally know anyone who got pregnant accidentally after a vasectomy.

navybeauty88
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:46 AM

I know someone who did get pregnant after her husband was fixed. But I think its really rare. That's the only person I know personally that it has happened to.

CafeMom Tickers
DeputyWifeJen
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:48 AM

If he went for the follow ups and they confirmed he was shooting blanks, then I doubt you have much chance at all hun, sorry.

mommy31210
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:50 AM

MY HUSBAND SHOULDNT BE HERE my fil had a vasectomy before him and then here comes my husband and then my mil had a miscarrage after my husband :) it can happen pm me if you have questions fil grew back together and a new tube

ddemarco
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:51 AM

I've heard of one.

You can also do what Chuck Norris did.  Extract the sperm from the balls.

rosemagic01
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Yeah I spent some time looking into that tonight. Its a lot more expensive than reversal. =\ 

Quoting ddemarco:

I've heard of one.

You can also do what Chuck Norris did.  Extract the sperm from the balls.

JessT5280
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 3:22 AM

My little sis was conceived after our dad's vasectomy. Hope it works out!

angelluvgoddess
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 3:41 AM

This is what happen after a vasectomy that was done in 08 and DH was cleared at his 2nd check as well..My Lil Man is now 13 mos old so yes it can happen..but for me it will never happen again cant get pregnant when you dont have a uterus 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)