Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are we over diagnosed?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:00 AM
  • 24 Replies
In America, especially, but the world in general,...do you think that we are over diagnosing certain conditions, namely those of ADHD, bi-polar, autism (The whole very broad spectrum), depression, etc...? I'm not at ALL saying they are not real, if you have a mental illness, or even feel as if you do, please, seek help. However lately, it seems that these diagnoses are running rampant. Your thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JMCorbin84
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I think sometimes, yes! My SIL is determined to get her DS diagnosed w/ something just because he's an active 4 yr old and she doesn't have the patience or want to spend time w/ him doing things like letting him play outside or taking him to the park. She sits him in front of the tv all day and bitches about how he's ADHD because he runs around their house like a maniac. She even got a dr to put him on Ritalin but it's not helping...gee, you think if she took him outside for a few hours and let him play he might just wear himself out???

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Vacation tickers
cowgirlsmommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Yes. I think many people start looking for issues as soon as kids are born. Adults look for excuses to be lazy. I'm not saying nobody has those conditions but some people overdue it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cookincat743
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Of course we are. I myself had the unfortunate experience when I was a teenager of being diagnosed as having Bipolar Disorder, when in reality I was just an understandably angry and depressed teenager who had been moved across the country away from all of my family and friends, and had gotten in to a bad crowd at school. But they didn't even try to treat that, they just shoved pills down my throat that caused me at 13 to lactate, gain 50 pounds, and I developed facial twitches, just to name a few side effects. Of course now any psychiatrist who spends a moment with me knows I'm not Bipolar, but.... a lot of damage was done by that experience. Nowadays if someone has something genuinely sad happen to them, and are depressed, they are almost automatically given an antidepressant. That is wrong. You don't give someone a pill that chemically changes a person's brain for a completely normal and natural depression. There is nothing wrong with being depressed if you get divorced or somebody you love dies!! You are supposed to go through the "grieving process", not be given a pill to "fix it" like there is something wrong with it. Because of my experiences I will always be very cautious when it comes to my children if doctors, teachers, etc. advise treating them with psychiatric medications.

kleigh24
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I think so, My mil is perfectly fine but she's on meds for depression,anxiety,muscle relaxers and Prozac... none of which she needs but she knows what to say to her  psychologist so they keep giving her refillsand she makes herself a nice drug cocktail out of them and sleeps for 18 hrs straight. It seems like EVERY kid has adhd... thats how kids are, they are supposed to run around and yell and jump and not pay attention to anything. Im not saying there arent real cases of this but I think these days EVERYONE had something wrong with them

RheaF
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:54 AM

I think they are. Doctor's are so quick to label people, and people just go with it. After having DD I had PPD, went to a Doctor who referred me to a Psychiatrist. He said I was Bipolar and started me on a variety of meds. I was young and believed him, long story short I ended up over medicated and flipped out. I ended up in a mental hospital for a week. After getting out I stopped the meds and changed Doctors. Never had a problem after that.

When DS was about 1 1/2 I spoke to his previous Pedi. about his behavior. He would throw fits for 45 minutes or more. He was extremely violent, and hyper all the time(above the normal 1 1/2 year old level). Well he suggested that he may be ADD or ADHD, and that we should start medication!!! Ummm....NO! We found a new Doctor who suggested changing his diet(cutting out food dyes, preservatives and cutting WAY down on HFCS and other processed sugars). It worked! He is a completely different child now.

skylersmom44
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Not only are we over diagnosed but over medicated. I am always floored by the drug ads on tv. If you have this symptom....take this and it may help....but call your doctor if you have these side effects, heart attack, stroke, loss of feeling, death!!!!! Its unreal. I understand that medicine has come along ways and they have made some major advances but come on!!!!

Momof4kids9621
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:00 AM
Yup, I made a post like this but didn't word it rite and got my ass chewed lol, I 100% think kids in general are getting over diagnosed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kool_Aide
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I'm on the fence with this one. I agree that there are children, teens and adults who truly need help. But, I guess some are quick to self dx and then turn to a doctor to convince him/her of the symptoms. It's sad...but it doesn't take much to get the label if you tell the doctor the exact symptoms. He is inclined to trust that you are actually facing these symptoms. There isn't a throat swob or blood test to confirm some of these things so they really have to just listen and try to believe you when you say you or your child is struggling with these issues. It's really sad, because some are looking for a quick fix.

On the other side, these concerns are actually legit and need to be addressed. It's such a sloppy and unclear line on who to treat and being honest about some of these dx's that are actually very serious. There are some that you cannot deny that the patient needs help but it's still very hard to determine some and it's becoming just so common to turn to most now when your child is being more difficult than others. Parents tend to compare.

kleigh24
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:01 AM

its  ironic how the meds you take for depression can lead to suicide.. so if your taking something to make you feel better it can make you want to kill yourself.. well that sounds effective

skylersmom44:

Not only are we over diagnosed but over medicated. I am always floored by the drug ads on tv. If you have this symptom....take this and it may help....but call your doctor if you have these side effects, heart attack, stroke, loss of feeling, death!!!!! Its unreal. I understand that medicine has come along ways and they have made some major advances but come on!!!!

eatyourveges
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM

ABSOLUTELY!!!!  I think that a lot of parents (not all parents, because some children legitimately have these diseases--before anybody jumps down my throat haha) are using these medications to "fix" bad parenting...

If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching the frontline documentary "The Medicated Child".  It makes a LOT of good points, and is just a really really really awesome documentary!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)