Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad check?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM
  • 15 Replies

I posted this in my "daycare group" but I haven't gotten any responses.

I run an in home preschool in my home 3 days a week. One parent pays me for the entire month upfront. I have her make the check out to my husband because it's easier for him to get to the bank when I'm home all day with the group of kids. Today he took the check to be cashed at the mom's bank and they wouldn't do it. They said the check cannot be negotiated at this time. They can't legally give us anymore information though. What do this mean? I've never dealt with anything like this. Does this mean the funds aren't available?

I've sent the mom an email to let her know that the check just didn't work out. I feel awful for her. But, it's an $800 check so it's not like I can just let it slide. It's a big chunk of my income.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JG86
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM
It probably means the funds weren't available. I used to work at a bank, and that's all we were allowed to tell people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sam.Marie
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:53 PM

probably just means that there werent enough funds to cash the check

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM

insufficient funds probably.

Kool_Aide
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Crap! This is the only thing I hate about this profession. I have to rely on people to pay me with personal checks for my monthly income. She is only one check out 4 families so it's not like I've lost everything but it's still a lot.

silverdawn99
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:02 PM

no you dont. just say you wont accpet checks anymore and that you need cash. simple as that

Quoting Kool_Aide:

Crap! This is the only thing I hate about this profession. I have to rely on people to pay me with personal checks for my monthly income. She is only one check out 4 families so it's not like I've lost everything but it's still a lot.

Kool_Aide
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Normally this is how I would handle future payments. But, this has been my longest family and I have always thought of them as my "wealthy" family. Dad is a surgeon and mom is a Speech pathologist. I'm shocked by this and I don't want to embarrass them but I would be humiliated. I guess I'm trying to be open minded that something else is going on. Aughhh!

Quoting silverdawn99:

no you dont. just say you wont accpet checks anymore and that you need cash. simple as that

Quoting Kool_Aide:

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM

i agree with this.

was the 800 for the month? maybe they could pay you weekly or biweekly to avoid the issue in the future??

Quoting silverdawn99:

Quoting Kool_Aide:

Kool_Aide
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:15 PM

It is for the month. 3 out of 4 families pay me for the entire month up front. And the other pays bi-weekly. I let them make this choice when they enroll with me. It's been a great arrangment for so long. I don't want to be stupid by letting this slide this time. I really want to trust it will never happen again though. I really love getting it up front. It helps with the mortgage, groceries and 3 of our utilities and one car payment. I would hate to lose that set up.

Quoting mallowcup17:

i agree with this.

was the 800 for the month? maybe they could pay you weekly or biweekly to avoid the issue in the future??

Quoting silverdawn99:

Quoting Kool_Aide:

JG86
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Instead of requiring cash only, why don't you ask for money orders or official bank checks, rather than personal checks?  At least that way, you would be guarnteed the funds.

BabyBrooke13
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM

it could be other things than just insufficant funds . . . the signature might not match (a new teller would check every signature and if someone changed theirs without updated what the bank has on file they dont have to cash it) . . . there may be a stop on that check # or even the whole book . . . they may have forgotten to transfer the money, which I have done . . . whatever happened give them a chance to fix it and maybe ask for either cash or a money order from here on out just to avoid added stress to all parties involved

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)