Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

at what age did you / will you

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM
  • 23 Replies
make your children clean their room?

We started making them clean up their rooms by themselves around 3.my boys are 7 and 3 right now. Of course when they were toddlers we would tell them to clean up toys and we would help. Now they have to put their laundry in the baskets, shoes away. And toys away on their own. I do the vaccuming and dusting but other than that they do the rest. So what about your kids. I'm curious as to what age other people start making their kids do this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gastromama2007
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:55 PM
My four year old started cleaning his room and the living room where he plays when he was about two. Of course when he was two it was a game, but now he cleans up after himself when I ask :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kleigh24
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM

3 but its not like he did a great job, I would just ask him to pick up his toys and about half of them actually made it in the toy box and I was usually in there helping him. My mom said at three years old I had my room spotless and even made my own bed without being asked.. but im a clean freak lol guess it started young

JaivonsMommy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3HappylKidds
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM

my kids are 5 an 3 .. they are cleaning their room right now. a lot of times they dont do the best job but they try!

3HappylKidds
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM

my 2 year old will pick up toys an put them in the toybox when asked..

jllange
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM

DS is only 14 months, but I have him clean up some of his toys or if he makes a mess of something. I do it along with him, but it's a habbit I want to start when he's young. He loves to throw anything I tell him in the trash :)

metalhealthmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:59 PM

My son is almost three and has been helping clean his room since he was 2 1/2. He puts his toys away and at night always puts his dirty clothes in the hamper. He also helps 'clean' the bathroom. I let him take a washcloth and clean the tub so he thinks he's doing it...because when he's old enough, the bathroom is going to be one of his chores. 

2boysmommy.js
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:00 PM
when they started walking about 9 months... Had them help pick up toys and when i took their clothes off they would put them in the laundry basket. Now at 2.5 and 4.5 they do it all themselves, put their clothes in laundry basket pick up toys, make their bed and put away clean clothes... Its never perfect but its acceptable
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Renee02

My son who is 5yrs old does it if I ask..And he has done it volunterrly..And my 2yr old daughter cleaned her room the other day lol..I walked in and I am like um ok lol..BUT I am sure she was just doing that for play tho..She helps me clean up the toys sometimes if I ask..

Jeremmy

When he was old enough to understand what I meant when I told him to pick stuff up and put it in his box (mainly following me, as I helped him). It was just nightly clean up of the toys on the floor from that days play. He is 5 now and has been solely responsible for his room, and putting away his shoes and coat, putting his clothes in the laundry basket, ect probably since he was 4.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)