Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ladies I need you!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM
  • 8 Replies

I really need some advice cause I know Im not thinking clearly.  Today my aunt told me that at the end of the school year she is planning to send my 9yr old little cousin to live with her sister who is 26. Well my 26yr old cousin has two kids, on welfare, hasnt worked a steady job ever, and moves every 9months because she stops paying rent after about month 3/4.  The 9yr old is my favorite lil cousin.  She spends the weekends with me, weeks during the summer, we have slumber parties everything.  I love her to death and would kill for her in a heartbeat.  I just can not imagine what kind of life she would have living with her sister (who btw, goes out more then any mother with 2 kids ive ever met)  So after my aunt told me this, I told her that mini me (aka the 9yr old) could come live with me.  Here is my delimma.  Im 5months pregnant and expecting to be a single mom.  Right now I make enough to support me and my baby, but I do plan on going back to my old job where I was making waaaay more as soon as possible. (within a year after my son is born) I just dont know what to do, my heart is telling me to let mini me come live with me and my head is telling me I may be taking on more then I can handle.  Should I stay out of it and continue being the fun weekend cousin? Is there another alternative I havent thought of? 

*BTW here mom says its just too hard raising her.  But honestly I think my aunt just wants to be single and childfree. Mini me just got straight A's on her report card, tested four grade levels higher then what she is in, AND actually acts like a 9yr old! What is so hard about raising her?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
becky-b
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I think you need to do what your heart tells you too. :0)

If she lives with you I know in some states you can get state assistance just to help with that child since she is not yours. Good Luck and Congrats on your little one!

Mrs.Murray27
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:10 PM

It's tough, but I know that I have a big heart and would probably want to do what you're wanting...I'm not sure what is right for you sweetie but good luck! I know you'll make the right decision! 

LadyEmrys
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:12 PM

oh thats tough. if you can possibly make it work.. id say do it. and having an extra hand to help with the little things (like watching baby so you can go to the bathroom) will be a huge help for you. ;p

Smiles0305
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:20 PM
I would take her. I think it gonna be hard to see her leave and I wouldn't want her heading down the wrong path mimicking her big sis. She already partially lives with u so I would say take her in. Her sister probably wants her so she can be the baby sitter since as u stated she likes to run the streets. And she seems like a good kid idk what's wrong with your aunt to want to put her responsibility on someone else but I wouldn't risk having my little cousins life get ruined because of her moms selfish ways. Good luck in whatever choice u decide and keep us posted!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
exoticdiva63
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM

i was thinking the same thing.  I really want her to have a chance at a productive, positive life.  But Im just worried about if im making the right decision for everyone involved.

Quoting Smiles0305:

I would take her. I think it gonna be hard to see her leave and I wouldn't want her heading down the wrong path mimicking her big sis. She already partially lives with u so I would say take her in. Her sister probably wants her so she can be the baby sitter since as u stated she likes to run the streets. And she seems like a good kid idk what's wrong with your aunt to want to put her responsibility on someone else but I wouldn't risk having my little cousins life get ruined because of her moms selfish ways. Good luck in whatever choice u decide and keep us posted!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

MZ2007
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Quoting becky-b:

I think you need to do what your heart tells you too. :0)

If she lives with you I know in some states you can get state assistance just to help with that child since she is not yours. Good Luck and Congrats on your little one!

MZ2007
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Quoting Smiles0305:

pinkblue08
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM

I don't know how anyone could give up their kid w/o having too. That is crazy. I love kids I know if it were me I would take the kid in. I would find a way to make it work. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)