Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Ina Garten denies Make a Wish request....

Posted by   + Show Post

Celeb Chef -- Too Busy for 'Make-A-Wish' Kid

3/25/2011 12:35 AM PDT by TMZ Staff  

The Make-a-Wish Foundation had to break some bad news to a 6-year-old cancer patient this week ... when Food Network star Ina Garten informed them she was too busy to cook a meal with the boy ... TMZ has learned.

Ina Garten Enzo

A family member involved with the Make-A-Wish foundation tells us ... a little boy named Enzo was approached by the organization after he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia three years ago.

Enzo told Make-A-Wish ... he really wanted to cook with the "Barefoot Contessa" host because he would often watch the show with his mother while resting in bed.

M.A.W. approached Garten with the wish last year ... but at the time, she was unable to meet with Enzo due to a book tour.  The organization urged Enzo to pick another wish, but he told them he wanted to wait until she becomes available.

We're told the organization went back to Ina this year ... but her team responded with a "definite no" ... once again, citing scheduling conflicts. 

A member of Enzo's family says the 6-year-old is heartbroken ... and asked parents, "Why doesn't she want to meet me?"

When we called Make-A-Wish for comment on this story, they told us, "From time to time, planning for wishes doesn't turn out as originally envisioned, despite people's best intentions and efforts throughout the wish-granting process."

They noted that Ina is a "good friend" of the foundation.

A rep for Garten tells us, "Despite her demanding schedule, [Ina] participates and helps as many organizations as she can throughout the year, helping children and adults like Enzo with life threatening and compromising illnesses.

The rep continues, "Unfortunately, as much as she would like to, it's absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives."

We're told Enzo has now made a new wish -- he wants to swim with dolphins ... and he's already taking lessons to make his dream come true.

by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 11:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
JessicaEOH
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 8:35 AM
You werealmost buried with your uncle? How?

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

Eh.

Just like I don't have an obligation to send money to the starving children in Africa or St Jude's, she has no obligation to cook a meal with a sick child.

Sure, it would be nice of her but it doesn't makr her a God awful person because she doesn't want to.

She may truly be too busy. Maybe she had a parent with *insert random disease here* and she isn't comfortable being around a person with death looming in the future.

Nobody knows her situation but her.

My parents and I discussed how negatively I will be viewed at their funerals when I am absent.

Many of those people won't know that as a child I was nearly buried with my uncle and now have panic attacks anytime I am even asked if i am going to so and so's funeral.

Again,I don't know her situation. I don't think poorly of her at all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessicaEOH
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 8:36 AM
How awesome!!! I hope they do it!

Quoting AustinsMommy007:

Mar 26, 12:20 AM

Celeb Chefs to 'Wish' Kid -- We'll Cook With You!

Two TV chefs have stepped up to the plate -- and have offered to cook for a " Make-A-Wish " kid who was snubbed by " Barefoot Contessa " star Ina Garten ... TMZ has learned. Food Network star Beau MacMillan and " Iron Chef " Michael Symon are both reaching out to 6-year-old Enzo ... hoping they can fill the void Garten left after she turned down the kid's "wish" to cook a meal together. In fact, MacMillan tells us he's ready to fly Enzo and his entire family out to Arizona STAT -- put them up in a fancy resort and treat them all to a VIP dinner at his 5-star restaurant. MacMillan says he also wants to bring Enzo into the kitchen so they can prepare the meal together.   As for Symon -- the chef tells us he'll be in Enzo's home state of Oregon in the very near future and would be more than happy to swing by Enzo's house to "cook a dish" with him too. Bon appetit!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MegMon1
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 8:40 AM

THAT IS BS!!! If I were her I would have said clear my schedule I don't care what I have going on! This little boy is going to die at a early age and he just wants to meet her and cook with her!

MegMon1
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Just read the update and I am excited he is going to get to cook with someone.

LindsayLL
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM
wow thats beyond iggnorant. Like she cant make the time for this poor child. I wont be watching her show anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gastromama2007
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM
Well, I dislike her even more now :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ceceisme
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Well  I am not a fortune teller or anything but something tells me she will have alot of time on her hands very soon. I believe we reap what we sow and she is sowing some ugly seeds.. that child could have requested anyone but chose HER! I pray she never needs a bit of compassion and hear those words.. " I AM TOO BUSY" I will never watch her again!

oneluckymom22
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM
Thanks for posting this!!!!! That is SOOOOOO awesome!!!!! I love Beau and Michael!!

Quoting AustinsMommy007:

Two TV chefs have stepped up to the plate -- and have offered to cook for a " Make-A-Wish " kid who was snubbed by " Barefoot Contessa " star Ina Garten ... TMZ has learned. Food Network star Beau MacMillan and " Iron Chef " Michael Symon are both reaching out to 6-year-old Enzo ... hoping they can fill the void Garten left after she turned down the kid's "wish" to cook a meal together. In fact, MacMillan tells us he's ready to fly Enzo and his entire family out to Arizona STAT -- put them up in a fancy resort and treat them all to a VIP dinner at his 5-star restaurant. MacMillan says he also wants to bring Enzo into the kitchen so they can prepare the meal together.   As for Symon -- the chef tells us he'll be in Enzo's home state of Oregon in the very near future and would be more than happy to swing by Enzo's house to "cook a dish" with him too. Bon appetit!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle-Lo-La
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 1:01 PM

if pro football/basketball/baseball players can find the time in the middle of the season to meet with the kids, why the heck can't she? seriously? she's only a cook.. and I seriously doubt her 'other activities' are as important.. granted, they may have some sort of importance.. but this kid won't be around for forever, you'd think she could find it in her heart to make an exception to the 'every request' she can't meet...

mom2twins9909
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 1:02 PM

That's awesome! I like Michael Symon, but I can't picture who Beau is.

Quoting oneluckymom22:

Thanks for posting this!!!!! That is SOOOOOO awesome!!!!! I love Beau and Michael!!

Quoting AustinsMommy007:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN