Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Ina Garten denies Make a Wish request....

Posted by   + Show Post

Celeb Chef -- Too Busy for 'Make-A-Wish' Kid

3/25/2011 12:35 AM PDT by TMZ Staff  

The Make-a-Wish Foundation had to break some bad news to a 6-year-old cancer patient this week ... when Food Network star Ina Garten informed them she was too busy to cook a meal with the boy ... TMZ has learned.

Ina Garten Enzo

A family member involved with the Make-A-Wish foundation tells us ... a little boy named Enzo was approached by the organization after he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia three years ago.

Enzo told Make-A-Wish ... he really wanted to cook with the "Barefoot Contessa" host because he would often watch the show with his mother while resting in bed.

M.A.W. approached Garten with the wish last year ... but at the time, she was unable to meet with Enzo due to a book tour.  The organization urged Enzo to pick another wish, but he told them he wanted to wait until she becomes available.

We're told the organization went back to Ina this year ... but her team responded with a "definite no" ... once again, citing scheduling conflicts. 

A member of Enzo's family says the 6-year-old is heartbroken ... and asked parents, "Why doesn't she want to meet me?"

When we called Make-A-Wish for comment on this story, they told us, "From time to time, planning for wishes doesn't turn out as originally envisioned, despite people's best intentions and efforts throughout the wish-granting process."

They noted that Ina is a "good friend" of the foundation.

A rep for Garten tells us, "Despite her demanding schedule, [Ina] participates and helps as many organizations as she can throughout the year, helping children and adults like Enzo with life threatening and compromising illnesses.

The rep continues, "Unfortunately, as much as she would like to, it's absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives."

We're told Enzo has now made a new wish -- he wants to swim with dolphins ... and he's already taking lessons to make his dream come true.

by on Mar. 25, 2011 at 11:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
coralbeth
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM
She may have unknown reasons for saying no but to say scheduling conflicts are to blame is just stupid. If she has to say the earliest is December 12, 2012 so be it! But nobody is that booked up. I mean seriously c'mon if the boy wants to see her that bad he'll be willing to wait it sounds like. Either she's hiding something or she's just a bitch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oneluckymom22
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 1:36 PM
Krista....Beau did worst cooks of America the first season
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyuteangl88
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM

what a disgusting woman...i mean, really you can't take a few hours out of your day to give this poor kid his dream?  

joskid
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 10:59 PM

This just wants to make me vomit.  Because this child is not a Hamptonite - Ina can't be bothered?!  How many requests does she get from make a wish - probably not many - and from a 6 yr old - even less.  You can find the time!

Too bad he didn't choose Paula Deen instead.  Now there is a woman with a heart as big as the whole outdoors and a personality to match!!!

LiamK
by on Mar. 27, 2011 at 1:11 AM
Enzo sounds like a sweet kid. "This is a child who has NEVER wanted to hurt his cancer or 'kick it’s butt' because he truly believes that in turn it will just cause more hurt and pain and that instead, giving it friendship and love will neutralize it and change it from bad cells to good cells and it will move on in peace." Therefore I doubt he would like the hatred expressed in most of the comments here, about Ina Garten. People who appear on TV are entitled to as much privacy and freedom as anyone else.
tinytina264
by on Mar. 27, 2011 at 9:55 AM

First of all, I have to question anything from TMZ.  Second, I don't understand how people can make a judgement on Ina Garten when they are only hearing one side of the story.  It may be that she doesn't even know about the request if her staff is taking care of the matter.  It stinks that the mother of this little boy feels she has the right to trash someone just because they don't do what she wants them to do.  By the way,  I have read a couple of posts on this board with language that is pathetic for a mother to be using.  Hope your kids don't follow your example.

JaivonsMommy
by on Mar. 27, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Shame on her for denying this poor dying child his wish. She honestly couldn't take 2 freakin hours out of her "busy" schedule for this child!?!? This just saddens me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
braunstein2be
by on Mar. 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Quoting tinytina264:

First of all, I have to question anything from TMZ.  Second, I don't understand how people can make a judgement on Ina Garten when they are only hearing one side of the story.  It may be that she doesn't even know about the request if her staff is taking care of the matter.  It stinks that the mother of this little boy feels she has the right to trash someone just because they don't do what she wants them to do.  By the way,  I have read a couple of posts on this board with language that is pathetic for a mother to be using.  Hope your kids don't follow your example.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Va-Bene
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:51 PM

I seriously hope that a great many of the women on this board who posted are not actual mothers.  I'm truly astonished and disheartened by the type of language and villifying that has gone on here against Ina Garten.  

Just as we are free to spend our time in our chosen activities, so is Ina Garten.  I'm sure that she has plenty of philanthropic activities that she does not need to be throttled for her decision to not participate in this particular one.  

Frankly I find this whole thing a bit hinky, given that the child was completely excited to go swimming with dolphins and slept in his swimming trunks - that sound like something a 6 year old would want to do.  The way this woman behaved on her blog and the responses on this board make me want to not socialize with other mothers if this is how selfish and lacking in manners we are becoming.  Sometimes women are the worst behaved toward each other, this certainly proved it.  I'm rather ashamed at the level of bottom feeding behaviour on here.  Just disgraceful and certainly not language and attitudes that should be raising children.

StarryRain
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:56 PM

*eyeroll*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN