Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This isn't a flea market. ...

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:50 AM
  • 9 Replies
So who the hell let all these fleas in my house. My cat must have gotten confused. For some reason my cat used to live at my parents (I got him in high school and left him there when I started my family.) he never got fleas. But since we brought him out here he got them twice. I guess the warm weather plays a roll too, but 2 weeks ago I got a new mattress, sheets and ALL bedding. We did not change the box spring. But ever since then we have started getting flea bites on our feet especially at night. And last night I have started seeing them jump all over our socks and bed. We threw our sheets in the wash last night and I just put my sheets on the bed and I've seen more.
We treated Ashton with frontline but dh is getting some housespray on the way home. I really had no idea where to begin. What's safe for us and the kids. What to do for our bites. How long can they live if Ashton has already been treated. Or can the live off our blood? Any testimony can help. Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:52 AM

get rid of the cat

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:53 AM
At SOs old place, we had to bomb the house with that flea killing stuff. We had to evacuate the house for two days, but it was the only thing that got rid of them!

After we came home, it was so gross seeing all the dead fleas on the kitchen floor! We had to use the vacuum a few times on the carpet and a shop vac for the kitchen and bathroom floors...

It sucked, but they were gone for good and never came back!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM

It helps to salt the carpets, let it sit and then vacuum. Do it a few times a day.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM
Sevendust now, it is NOT safe for the kids(i think u can buy some safe for cat) spread it EVERYWHERE and leave for the night come back (w/o lo of course) and clean your house from top to bottom to get all of it up and you will find dead fleas. We swear by it :) it sux for the inconvenience though. Make sure the cat is flealess though or its a waste of time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:00 AM

you should get some flea powderif you have carpets and put it down leav it for however long the powder says and vaccum and then if you can acctually get some bug bombs and bomb your house thats what we had to do and every month we treat our cat and havent had a problem since

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM

We had fleas for a while because of my one cat getting out and bringing them back. THEY CAN LIVE OFF OF YOU!!! My oldest, I felt so bad for him, was getting but on his ankles and the back of his neck. We did flea dips and they wore collars. Nothing was working. We vaccumed 5 times a day and got the spray (Something like Raid or Hot Shot) it is safe to spray on the animal and around the house. Also Frontline is really good. We did 2 treatments and they are gone. But it is expensive. we have three cats so $50 every month. 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM
Have the house professionaly treated and wash everything soft in hot water, then start adding vinegar to the cat's water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM
Vacuuming helps SO much (well, if you have a good vacuum). Vacuum your mattress too. Do It daily and empty it immediatly. Also treating your yard helps too stop from bringing them back in. you have to get the yard, house, and pet at the same time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Cats are harder then dogs, in my opinion. 

We live in the south, where it hardly freezes, and never long enough to kill off the bug populations lol. We spray about once every four months with a spray from our local co-op called Venom. Spray the outside of the house and the yard, obviously not near any veggies you may have planted. 

If you have carpet, go and get a box of Mule Time 40. It's old timer's laundry detergent. Something in it crystalizes the fleas. We don't have carpet, but have a few area rugs. We don't get fleas often anymore b/c of my routine, but I have used this in the past and it worked wonders. I had to let it sit for several hours, though, then vaccum. 

Obviously, wash all bedding - including kitty's, if they have a special spot. 

Because I have never had luck with the drops or sprays, I just use a plain ol' flea collar. But, if you do go with the drops, DO NOT USE Hartz brand. They will make a cat sick. Yes, they make them for cats, but ask your vet if you don't believe me. Hartz flea drops are horrible for cats!!!! Like you said, Frontline. Though I have never had luck with it or Advantage. I seriously think they're a waste. 

When you dip your animal, use dawn dish soap. 

Dogs are sooooo much easier. I just give mine a comfortis pill from my vet (monthly pill), a bath and keep his bed clean (I do this anyway b/c he likes to roll in the mud and get all nasty lol, so I wash his bed every couple of days). 

I am not familiar with a flea's life span but I'm pretty sure they can live off of blood in general. You have a lot of vaccuming ahead of you, I think ;). Remove the top matress, wash all of your linens, and suck up all of those suckers under your new matress, and you'll want to do the second one now. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)