Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommas with cats, I have a question for you!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM
  • 28 Replies
Ok so hubby found a tiny kitten (size of an orange) inside of a car. Like in the tire well (he's a tech at toyota) so he decided to bring her home cause they were just gonna let her free. Well we've had get for about a year now and I wanna make her an outdoor cat but I'm scared that she won't come back. How did you guys do it? she sits at the door and meows while the girls and I are outside so I wanna be able to let her out without running away and never come back. Thanks in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AprilH06
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I would start by only letting her out when you guys are out there. Just so she knows the boudaries of your yard. Since she has been fedd by you for this long, she probably doesnt know how to hunt so she will come back when she gets hungry. Our cats always did. If she isn't declawed she might drag some dead animals back, but otherwise just start by only letting her come out with you guys.

sweettigeress
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM

just because she sits at the door and meows doesn't necessarily mean she wants outside. my cat does this too, but the minute she gets outside she freaks out.

rosemagic01
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM

If you live in a highly populated area or even the very back woods this is a very poor choice. Most cats either get beat up by other cats/animals or run over by cars. Your not only risking the cat not coming back because its 'run away' or lost its way home but that it could die or get harmed and your vet bills will sky rocket. One of my friends repeatedly allowed her cat outside and he was at the vets weekly. Other cats beat the crap out of it and then finally someone stole it knowing that the cat shouldn't be allowed outside any longer. She was never able to prove that the cat was hers and thus never got the cat back. 

Then you also have to think about where you live as far as flee's and ticks are concerned. Are you willing to have the cat pick up flee's outside and bring them inside? Are you willing to expose yourself as well as your children to ticks? 

Do yourself a favor keep the cat inside. Oh and if she's declawed. DONT LET HER OUT! If she isn't fixed DONT LET HER OUT!

treaH
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM
I know that, but she's gotten out a couple times and she runs and sits in the sun. I'm the one doing the freaking out. I run after her and put her inside.

Quoting sweettigeress:

just because she sits at the door and meows doesn't necessarily mean she wants outside. my cat does this too, but the minute she gets outside she freaks out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabeys_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:35 AM
I keep my inside cat in. In all of his 6 yrs, I still wouldn't fully trust him and id be afraid something would happen to him. They make little cat harnesses/leashes...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweettigeress
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:35 AM

this is a better argument. lol!

Quoting rosemagic01:

If you live in a highly populated area or even the very back woods this is a very poor choice. Most cats either get beat up by other cats/animals or run over by cars. Your not only risking the cat not coming back because its 'run away' or lost its way home but that it could die or get harmed and your vet bills will sky rocket. One of my friends repeatedly allowed her cat outside and he was at the vets weekly. Other cats beat the crap out of it and then finally someone stole it knowing that the cat shouldn't be allowed outside any longer. She was never able to prove that the cat was hers and thus never got the cat back. 

Then you also have to think about where you live as far as flee's and ticks are concerned. Are you willing to have the cat pick up flee's outside and bring them inside? Are you willing to expose yourself as well as your children to ticks? 

Do yourself a favor keep the cat inside. Oh and if she's declawed. DONT LET HER OUT! If she isn't fixed DONT LET HER OUT!

NarutoSasukeSakuraKiba Hinata Shino  InoShikamaruChoji Neji   Lee  Tenten

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Is she spayed? If not, don't let her out until she is!

If she is, then I would just open the door and let her try it. Mine are indoor/outdoor and always come home without worry. When they were kittens, we would just take the out on the porch with us. The kids would tote them around the yard lol. 

I do agree, though, if you live in a high traffic area, I wouldn't do it. Nothing more heart breaking then finding that your kitty has been hit by a car! 

treaH
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM
I know there aren't any fleas or ticks because our dog hangs out outside most of the day. We've never once had a problem. And if course i would't let her out if she wasnt fixed or if she was declawed. Im pretty sure it's illegal in AZ to declaw.

Quoting rosemagic01:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ethans_mom718
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM

My cat has always been an outdoor/indoor cat. She only goes out when we take our dog out and she walks with him. If she doesnt come in right away she comes back 30 mins later. She's always been like this but shes spoiled and is fat so she doesnt stay gone for long lol

Ladywithtwo
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM
If she is spayed and vaccinated I say let her. My cat spends all day outside and only comes in to eat. He even uses the bathroom outside!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)