Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

drs dont know everything!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM
  • 45 Replies

i just dont understand why our generation is so quick to take our kids to the dr for every little thing. i read a post about a mom who didnt take her son to the dr for diarrhea, what is the dr going to tell her to do that she wasnt already doing? as long as they are staying hidrated then there is nothing the dr is going to do. if it was us when we were kids our moms would have put us on BRAT diet and gave us plent of juice and water. i just think it is ridiculous how fast we run our kids to the dr. most drs will tell you "do what you think is best" or that "oh its a virus and it has to run its course"

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JADIEBUG
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Juice is the worst thing to give to a kid with diarrhea.

Sometimes there is a cause for concern especially when the issue is off and on for longer then a week.

JBDslittlemam08
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM

It's also the reason why we have unnecessarly high medical costs in America and why we're starting to see an even higher rate of MRSA because we're using these antibiotics too freely and they're becoming more and more resistant to everything.

lette_with_2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM

my mom would give us like gateraid or something that could replenish out electro lights. and yes if it lasts more than 7 days i would take my kid in

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Sometimes there is a cause for concern especially when the issue is off and on for longer then a week.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
JADIEBUG
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Gatorade is just as bad as juice....The high amount of sugar can cause more diarrhea.

Quoting lette_with_2:

my mom would give us like gateraid or something that could replenish out electro lights. and yes if it lasts more than 7 days i would take my kid in

Quoting JADIEBUG:

lette_with_2

exactly! my mom harly ever took us to the dr.

Quoting JBDslittlemam08:

It's also the reason why we have unnecessarly high medical costs in America and why we're starting to see an even higher rate of MRSA because we're using these antibiotics too freely and they're becoming more and more resistant to everything.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
Mommyfish831

I know.  Once I took my DD to the doc because I wasn't sure if she had chicken pox (all of her cousins had it on Easter that year) and the doc tells me "it could be the chicken pox"  I was like seriously did I just pay someone to say what I was thinking?  I have practically lost all faith in doctors when it comes to general health issues.  I have started doing a lot of my own research and feel I can nurse my children better than a doctor can.  Most of the time they only prescribe amoxicillin or say its a virus.  People do rely on the medical system way to much, they feel like if that's what the docs says then that's that.

lette_with_2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM

well whatever it helped us!

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Gatorade is just as bad as juice....The high amount of sugar can cause more diarrhea.

Quoting lette_with_2:

Quoting JADIEBUG:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
PhoenixsMommy10
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM

When my son was about 6 months old I did take him to the dr for diarrhea....but he also had a horrible diaper rash that ended up being a yeast infection from all the acidic poo he was having.

But I probably wouldn't have took him to the dr at all, if I hadn't noticed that the diaper rash was starting to look different.

lette_with_2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM

i might have taken mine in just to make sure it was chicken pox, but dont they vaccinate against that now? but i wouldnt have asked what to do about, there isnt really much you can do except put calomine lotion on for them, or oatmeal bath

Quoting Mommyfish831:

I know.  Once I took my DD to the doc because I wasn't sure if she had chicken pox (all of her cousins had it on Easter that year) and the doc tells me "it could be the chicken pox"  I was like seriously did I just pay someone to say what I was thinking?  I have practically lost all faith in doctors when it comes to general health issues.  I have started doing a lot of my own research and feel I can nurse my children better than a doctor can.  Most of the time they only prescribe amoxicillin or say its a virus.  People do rely on the medical system way to much, they feel like if that's what the docs says then that's that.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
kleigh24
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM

my mom hardly ever took us in and we turned out just fine. My mil got so upset when I didnt take the kids in over everything and I told her.. you go take my dd to the doctor and wait 3 hrs to get in since there always busy and then pay a $30 co-pay for them to tell you she's fine. She did it twice and then hasnt brought it up since.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)