Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christian Respect....

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM
  • 81 Replies
As a Christian, I am often embarrassed by other Christians who so swiftly pass judgment onto others. I'm heartbroken at the thought of sometimes "hiding" my beliefs here on CM, simply because I don't want to be in the same category as those who behave this way. I think that as Christians, we can all agree that Christ's #1 command (not request) was to show Christ's LOVE through OURSELVES! No doubt, passing judgment is a FAR CRY from following this commandment!

With that said, I must admit that my heart breaks when I hear/read comments from non-Christians who insist that "my God" is a fallacy. I understand that this is truly what you believe about my Religion, but IMO it is a very rude & heartless thing to outwardly say. Essentially, (for arguments sake) you very well COULD be right?! I mean, my entire Religion is based upon stories written in parables millions of years ago. Right? However, if *I* choose to believe in something that encourages me to be a better, more loving person, What does it matter to you? Is your purpose to make Christians feel "ignorant" for believing in something that you don't?

I guess that I just don't understand what the purpose in out-right offending others beliefs is? I suppose that I could give such person the benefit of the doubt & assume that they weren't aware that this type of comment offends Christians. It is possible, right?

Either way, I apologize (on behalf of a non-judgmental Christian) for those who have such negative views of the Christian faith. I truly hope that these other Christians whom have portrayed us in such a hateful manner will learn to be more accepting & respectful towards others!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robe739
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizardAgent
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I agree with you. Some people are just plain rude, and while I'm not Christian (I identify myself as Agnostic), I can respect your beliefs unless they begin to hurt others around you. I also think that people are ignorant and blinded by the abundance of Christians that are a bit over-the-top. Not every one person is like that, and I guess that's hard for some people to understand? I'm not sure, but you were very tactful and reasonable in this post. I respect that. 

ikesmommy200
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM
I am with. Our church also teaches that it is God's place to judge people, not other people's. Why do some christians so quickly forget that?

And yes, I am sick and tierd of being attacked, on here, and IRL, for my beliefs. I respect those of others, they can at the least agree to disagree with me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chillisarah
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM

As a former Christian now Agnostic I agree with this. But to the OP, are you offended that some people say they don't believe in God, or just offended when people are rude about it?

Quoting LizardAgent:

I agree with you. Some people are just plain rude, and while I'm not Christian (I identify myself as Agnostic), I can respect your beliefs unless they begin to hurt others around you. I also think that people are ignorant and blinded by the abundance of Christians that are a bit over-the-top. Not every one person is like that, and I guess that's hard for some people to understand? I'm not sure, but you were very tactful and reasonable in this post. I respect that. 

robe739
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM
I think that what you've described is probably the biggest problem that most Religions face! Unfortunately, someone will negatively portray the belief, & suddenly that poor action is KNOWN as the factor of that Religion.

I have to admit that I've had experience in my own life (growing up) with this same situation. My neighbors were Catholic & their 4 children were lying thieves, who snuck drugs & alcohol. From my understanding (at the time) as a Catholic, they could sin as they please, but would be instantly forgiven at their weekly confessionals. I'm sure that other Catholics could accurately explain why MY impression of their Religion is FAR from the truth.

So, I do understand why it is easy to have a poor impression of others Religion.

Quoting LizardAgent:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KREP
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:31 PM
I agree 100%. I am also a Christian.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robe739
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM
Sorry that I wasn't more clear in my original post. It does no offend me if someone says that they are a non-believer. The comments that offend me are those that involve saying things like:

"No, I'm not a Christian, I don't believe in fairy tales"

"Why would I believe in something that doesn't exist?"

ETC.... The manner behind such comments says that those who DO believe are "ignorant", or "gullable". IMO, that is extremely rude. KWIM?

Quoting Chillisarah:

As a former Christian now Agnostic I agree with this. But to the OP, are you offended that some people say they don't believe in God, or just offended when people are rude about it?

Quoting LizardAgent:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmack40487
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM

On the opposite side of the coin, it's not fun to have someones religion forced down your throat at every turn.  Christians don't like being told that a god doesn't exist; agnostics/atheists don't appreciate being told that they're going to burn in hell for their lack of beliefs.  I just wish people would stop caring about others spiritual beliefs.  If you believe in a god, awesome.  If not, that's perfectly fine too. 

littlemissmj
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I think the reason why some people feel the need to outwardly say that Christ doesn't exist to Christians, etc is the same reason why Christians feel the need to tell people that they should find Christ.

I think tolerance isn't a one way street and we could all be doing a lot better if we would learn to respect and accept one another.

robe739
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM
I absolutely agree 100%. I don't shove my beliefs down others throats.

There again....

Another misconception about the Christian faith. I apologize.

Quoting cmack40487:

On the opposite side of the coin, it's not fun to have someones religion forced down your throat at every turn.  Christians don't like being told that a god doesn't exist; agnostics/atheists don't appreciate being told that they're going to burn in hell for their lack of beliefs.  I just wish people would stop caring about others spiritual beliefs.  If you believe in a god, awesome.  If not, that's perfectly fine too. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)