Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unemployment...*Sigh*

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM
  • 8 Replies

I guess this will just be a vent. :/ But will gladly take any advice/info anyone has to offer!!

I'll be 39 weeks pregnant tomorrow. I got laid off from my AMAZING job last month. Four other people were laid off, so it wasn't just me. I worked for a home healthcare company and we just weren't bringing in enough patients to justify certain positions...And we weren't the only office affected; so I'm not concerned about my pregnancy being the issue at all.
They tried to get corporate to agree to severance pay, but they refused. So, the only option we had was to file for unemployment, or look for another job of course.

Well...Seeing as I was 8 months pregnant, looking for another job seemed a BIT out of the question. I know employers can't discriminate, but who would hire someone that would need 6 weeks off, practically immediately? Not to mention, FMLA wouldn't cover my ass in even KEEPING said job because I wouldn't have been there for a year.

So, I filed for unemployment the day I was sent home. I wasn't going to risk living off just hubby's income if unemployment was available to me. We aren't big spenders in the slightest but DO have bills to pay and another child on the way! I made $2000 a month.
I don't remember if it was in my initial application or when I started to have to claim my weeks, but I remember the question if I was able to work came up. I was afraid to lie, so I said no.
Of COURSE I am physically able to work, I just didn't think I would be able to actually find a job! So initially I think I was approved, because they told me the amount of money they would pay me, but then I got a letter in the mail stating that I was denied because I stated I wasn't able to work due to pregnancy, etc.

So I really fxcked up I guess. I spoke to friends about job openings, I looked online for jobs that would be appropriate for being almost 9 months pregnant, and couldn't find much in my area, let alone the fact that people needed people to start right away.

I filed an appeal, and have a "hearing" on Wednesday morning. I'm really nervous...I mean, the only thing I have going against me I guess is the fact that I haven't documented every single job search/contact I have made. But I am obviously able to work if I was JUST working and had no plans to leave until the baby was born!
But then my doctor won't sign off on letting me go back to work until I'm 6 weeks post-partum, so that's 6 weeks I'm technically not "able" to work!

So I'm not too hopeful on the unemployment...but I'm so freaking upset because my pregnancy is obviously playing against me. I will be PISSED if they don't turn it around and approve it.
I normally don't feel "entitled" to assistance, I have never received any kind of PA, but the whole situation is just horrible. I'm literally STUCK.

:( We'll find out after Wednesday I guess! I'm just so scared we won't make ends meet.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
JG86
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:57 PM
I'm sorry :( I don't really have any advice, but I hope it works out for you! That's really shitty of them to lay you off right before your leave...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
metalhealthmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM

I think when you go for the hearing just explain that to them. If anything, they might be able to help you find something else that you qualify for that will help you. 

Don't feel bad.

eatyourveges
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I know how you feel; I was laid off when I was on maternity leave and wasn't eligible for unemployment (and a single parent)... it freaking blows.  I hope they approve you!!!!

JaimieLynn8
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Thanks lady :( Keeping my fingers crossed.
I want to feel bitter about it, but since it was a corporate decision and not an office manager decision, it's hard to be mad. I don't want to be the lady that gets the special treatment anyways. They said once they get their census up, the positions will be able to be filled but we'll see. :) Just trying to look toward the good things coming!

Quoting JG86:

I'm sorry :( I don't really have any advice, but I hope it works out for you! That's really shitty of them to lay you off right before your leave...

JaimieLynn8
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I definitely will! I don't want sympathy but I just want them to see I made a mistake and that I really am eligible to receive it. I would gladly work if I found something I could do! I will see what suggestions they have for me if it doesn't work out for sure. Thank you!

Quoting metalhealthmom:

I think when you go for the hearing just explain that to them. If anything, they might be able to help you find something else that you qualify for that will help you. 

Don't feel bad.

JaimieLynn8
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:10 PM

What?! That's crazy! Stuff like that really pisses me off...the fact that someone that really NEEDS it is denied, yet you see people on unemployment making no effort to get off of it. Hope everything worked out for you though!! Thank you!!

Quoting eatyourveges:

I know how you feel; I was laid off when I was on maternity leave and wasn't eligible for unemployment (and a single parent)... it freaking blows.  I hope they approve you!!!!

eatyourveges
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Yea, I was waitressing because I couldn't get a job in my field (I hadn't been out of college very long when I got pregnant), and the restaurant closed....

But, yes, everything worked out for me.  When my son was about 4 months old I got my dream job, moved to a great area, and now have an amazing boyfriend.  :-)  Thanks! :-)

Quoting JaimieLynn8:

What?! That's crazy! Stuff like that really pisses me off...the fact that someone that really NEEDS it is denied, yet you see people on unemployment making no effort to get off of it. Hope everything worked out for you though!! Thank you!!

Quoting eatyourveges:

coralbeth
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM
Well if you can work, and not everyone with your position was laid off or not everyone in your department even, you might be able to dispute it with the labor board and say you feel the decision might have been based on your pregnancy. If your hearing is not reversed, and they say you are unable to work then you can file for disability.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)