Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(please be civil) How do YOU feel?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM
  • 18 Replies

It's a two part question....

1. Do you feel like our youth is being over sexualized too young?

2. Do you think self esteem should be based on who we are and what we are capable of, and not what we look like? (I'm not asking if that's how it IS now in general, but if that is how YOU feel it should be,)

*disclaimer* I know sometimes, I ask questions that may be controversial. I'm sorry if they upset you. But to know the answers to deep poignat life based questions, you have to ASK the questions. This is not an experiment, this is a genuine question I am posing to you, my peers, for your feedback and opinions. Yes, we may argue. Ok, it happens. It's how people learn new things, and learn to stand up for what they believe in, even when those beliefs are challenged.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vboatner
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I am going to respectfully say yes to both of those questions and leave it at that....

mom2twins9909
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:39 PM

1. YES!

2. Yes, but with girls I think self esteem will always be based on how they look.

MommaLion316
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Yes, our youth is definitely being over sexualized, but this has been going on for a long time and to be honest it doesn't look like it's going to change at all. Self esteem should definitely be based on accomplishments and who we are but you can't deny that how we look plays a big part.

StarryRain
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I agree, and I blame society, and with women for allowing it to be that way long enough for it to become the norm in humanity.

Quoting mom2twins9909:

1. YES!

2. Yes, but with girls I think self esteem will always be based on how they look.

navybeauty88
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Quoting MommaLion316:

Yes, our youth is definitely being over sexualized, but this has been going on for a long time and to be honest it doesn't look like it's going to change at all. Self esteem should definitely be based on accomplishments and who we are but you can't deny that how we look plays a big part.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenoxclan
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM

1. Yes

2. Yes- Honestly despite being boob-less and skinny as a stick growing up(also ganged up on, excluded because I wasn't "pretty") AND not having a parent who would tell me looks didn't matter..I was still lucky enough to keep my self esteem and not care about material things.. As long as I was happy nothing else mattered.. Most of the "popular" girls ended up liking me because I didn't break to their peer pressure or being picked on.. Guess I was one of the lucky ones!

I didn't worry about how big my tits were, or how good I was at flaunting them(didn't have any true) I also had no desire to be on the "in" and get a padded bra, I mean Seriously, It's not like ANYONE would have thought, WOW Lenox grew boobs over night..The only one I would have been fooling, would have been myself..

I hope my daughter grows up with the same outlook on life that I have and had back then... I think she will be a happier person rather than bitter, if she does:0)

StarryRain
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:45 PM

And please, don't think I have perfect self esteem, or was this never picked on happy go lucky kid. I still have self image issues, but I am working on them, and I have found my own sense of beauty in who I am, and I am starting to love the skin I am in. Any changes I choose to make are for my own health, fun, etc. Not because I have any desire any longer to fit into what society deems as the "beautiful population".

happymom1988
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM
I agree w starryrain and ill add that i also blame men for thinking w their dicks and not their eyes and realize that a not so dolled up woman can be an amazing woman .....

Quoting StarryRain:

I agree, and I blame society, and with women for allowing it to be that way long enough for it to become the norm in humanity.

Quoting mom2twins9909:

1. YES!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
childofthesun
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM

1.Yep- Too many examples to list. I'll let you come up w/ your own.:)

2.Yep-This is how it should be and despite discussing this topic for many, many years it's not changing.

mrs_smiph
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:49 PM

When someone points out how cute my daughter is, I am sure to follow-up with "and smart too!" so that she sees the importance of brains in this world.  I have a friend who posted on her 12 yo daughter's page "ur curly hair is sexi" and I was appalled.  I think it's inappropriate to teach our young girls that being "sexy" is something to be desired.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)