Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about getting Mirena after baby...

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am due to have my baby in about a week, but the way he is acting, I think it's going to be a little longer than everyone thinks! LOL! Anyways, I asked my doctor today at my appointment about options I have for BC and he suggested Mirena and gave me a booklet. I think I am going to get it, but my question is: the booklet says that there is a 2 in1,000 chance of a unplanned pregnancy in the first year's use, and that periods may become shorter, lighter, or even stop. OK, that's all good. But, what is my  period IS actually lighter or even stops and I am one of those 2 in 1,000 and I actually become pregnant. How can you tell if you are actually pregnant because of absence of period in the first place. I am confused. I didn't read the booklet until after I left the office or I would have asked. Thanks for reading all this and fr your answers!!

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Dee24997
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM
Lol. I have the mirena and you feel like your preggos all the time. Light or no cycles and nausea all the time. You get checked up every so often though to check the strings. Its an amazing invention though I love having lighter cycles and not having to worry about BC!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MwithV_xo
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I love the Mirena!! I had a little cramping in the first day, but it's great! No nausea or anything like that.

katieclaude
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I have Mirena. I love that I don't have to remember to take anything. But I am also very depressed. If it doesn't affect your mood. I would keep it, I LOVE it, except for that I feel like my depression is coming from it.

ambermarie2006
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I was one of the ones who got pregnant on the Mirena. When I felt pregnant I took a test, it came out positive, so I went to the OB to get the Mirena removed.

rileysmomma614
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM
I have mirena also and I like it. It hasn't messed with my cycle too much yet though (I've only had it for about a month). And I did have cramping the first day or two but nothing else so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindsayLL
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I had my mirena for about 3 years and I hated it. I never had a period...just a day of spotting like every 3 months. My face broke out...i was always nauseated in the morning and my sex drive went way down hill. I hated it hated it hated it! I had it removed in November and became pregnant in January. I will never ever get it again but I know there are women who really like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)