Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM
  • 15 Replies
My step father is getting out of prison in less then a month he has been locked up for nineteen years from the time i got pregnant and told him my daughter was mixed with black he has made alot of rude comments to me about it and how she will not be accepted by anyone that i should have never mixed blood. Well now my mom is upset wit me because i told her my daughter will not be at her house with him there unless me or her father is there. My mom feels i dont trust her and that i am doing it to be mean. I honestly just dont want my step father saying anything to my daughter that is out of line and my daughter has never met him so i wanna see how things go before my daughter stays there with out me or her dad there now am i wrong for that? I could use some advice please
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sweets27
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM

No you're not wrong. I wouldn't even want her around him at all. 

deathmiamore
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:49 PM
No you're not wrong at all. I'd do the same thing maybe even going so far as to not let him see her at all. If she's not going to be accepted by him don't give him the pleasur of seeing her beautiful face. Mixed babies are the cutest after all. ;-). (coming from a fellow mixed)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahLynn0315
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:51 PM

You're in the right here. As her parent, it's your job to protect her, even if that ends up being from "family". There will be enough people in her life that'll absolutely adore her. You don't need to expose her to people who are hateful and ignorant.

Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM

honestly, i'd leave it up to your DD. I mean, she's 19 years old, I'm pretty sure she's had her fair share of racist people... let her make the decision if she wants to meet her grandfather, with the knowledge that he may be mean to her for her race.

if she was younger/under age, i'd keep my child away from them. not just b/c he's racist, but because my child shouldnt have to feel unwanted by their own family member/s! =(

sgt.youngs.wife
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM

no you're not wrong. i wouldn't want my daughter around him regardless of if im there or not.

swaney06
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM

your right..i wouldnt want him around for that purpose.. heck hes been locked up that long i wouldnt trust him around any kids..

mom2twins9909
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Quoting Sweets27:

No you're not wrong. I wouldn't even want her around him at all. 

josiahmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:01 PM

I wish you gl with the situation.

LaBolDeLaSouris
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I have a sort of similar situation going on with my sister. She is very hostile towards my husband (he's half Asian) and resents him for "coming between us", and doesn't understand why I have chosen him over her. She never has anything positive to say about him, and has tried to break us up more than once. She is now wanting to see the baby when he gets here and my mother has been trying to guilt trip me to start speaking to her again. She has written all sorts of lies about my husband on Facebook and refuses to take any responsibilty for her actions. 

My mother is upset because I have decided to cut her off, and fails to understand why I have made this decision.

It can be difficult for family members to understand why we don't want our children around people who are going to be a negative influence on them, but it is important that you stick by your decision. You are doing the right thing for your daughter.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

hopenalivia
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:12 PM
He has been locked up for nineteen years my daughter is three

Quoting Shy_Dia:

honestly, i'd leave it up to your DD. I mean, she's 19 years old, I'm pretty sure she's had her fair share of racist people... let her make the decision if she wants to meet her grandfather, with the knowledge that he may be mean to her for her race.

if she was younger/under age, i'd keep my child away from them. not just b/c he's racist, but because my child shouldnt have to feel unwanted by their own family member/s! =(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)