Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talking and reading

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM
  • 21 Replies

My husband says that the twins aren't talking because I don't read to them. I don't read to them because they don't sit still and just want to tear up the pages in the book.

Do you think that is why they aren't talking???

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gastromama2007
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:11 PM
My 22 month old isn't talking much, but it's due to a hearing problem ; here's a bump mama!

Sidenote ; I didn't read much to my now four year old, and at 2 he was speaking in full sentences. I think it depends on the child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Tell him to read to them. =)

mom2twins9909
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM
He would if he didnt work all the time.

Quoting LancesMom:

Tell him to read to them. =)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navybeauty88
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM
I heard that even if they get up and move around while you are reading, they are still listening. We still read to my son even when he doesn't seem to be paying attention. And maybe have them kinda interact with you while you are reading so they will become more interested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy200
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM
They're only 18 mos, I wouldn't worry yet. I don't think it has anything to do w/reading to them. Also, multiples often talk later because they often come up with their own way of communicating with each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasWife
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:05 PM

no. If you don't ever talk to them period would make me say that but I doubt that you never talk to them. They will talk when they are ready.

Amy614
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM

As long as you are talking to them, they will learn to talk. Some kids are later to talk than others are.  While reading is fabulous for all children, it doesn't teach them to talk, it expands on their vocabulary, because you are likely using words that you wouldn't always use in your every day speech. 

Maybe try some of the heavier board books, or some cloth books that are a little harder to rip up.  Maybe it would help their interest level.

CheyennesMommy2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM
No! I read constantly (well it feels like it) to dd...every five minutes she bring me a book lol...but she just babbles. She says words...but her speech is normal! If reading to them would help them talk more then dd would be in high pressure debates in congress! Lol...duh men r lame...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucasmommy503
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM
my cousins son did not talk much until he was like 3 they used flash cards to get him to start but the dr said to not worry to much because ea child is different and my step son did not really start talking until last summer and he just turned 3 but i had to sit down and point everything out over and over and tell him what things were. BUT EACH CHILD IS DIFFERENT. talk to their doctor and see what he or she says.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
navybeauty88
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM
And to answer your question in the OP, I do not think that is why they are not talking. They are still young and have time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)