Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Typical 3 y/o development

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM
  • 6 Replies
My BIL will be 3 next month and my MIL asked if she thought he was behind (I've worked in education for 5 1/2 years and have a degree in children's psych). First, I don't have the best relationship with her and this could be a trap for me to say he is behind and then she's going to tell the rest of the family I'm putting her kid down. But, having the background I do I understand how important early interventions can be. I think he could be but don't have the best background with really young kids, more older kids. I have a son whose almost 2 and it seems they do a lot of things together.

My BIL can count to 3 or 4, he doesn't sing his abc's or anything for that matter, he is just now learning his animal sounds and he lives on a farm, he can't pedal a tirke yet, has trouble with stairs, shows no interest in potty training, and only talks as well as my son. That means he can string together about 3-5words at a time. He also doesn't pretend like to talk on a phone, cook, fix stuff, or drive. He can't match stuff up like shapes or colors. He only knows 2 or 3 colors and none of his shapes. If you have a kid 3 or older, do you thinks this is typical. Oh and he doesn't know his name or age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bl3ss3dMommi
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM
No he sounds really delayed my sons 3 and has hearing problems and does a lot more than that and even talks more than that and obviously he can sign.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:41 PM
My dd is only 17 months, but that doesnt sound good. Cause dd pretends to.talk on the phone, type on her play computer, pretends to drive her barbie jeep, "sings" abc ( which is just her babbling in tune.with the song)...& she knows a kitty meows n a puppy barks.

Maybe she should get him checked out :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy200
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:56 PM
Well, that's my concern, too cheynnesmommy. My ds is a year to the day younger and he's been imitating animal sounds since he was 11 mos old. He could crow like a rooster, buck buck like a chicken, woof, grunt like a pig, and now he's a year older, he knows most animal sounds. And he's already counting higher and he's always trying to sing, even if the words are off, he at least babbles, that's why I'm concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy200
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM
Well, that's my concern, too cheynnesmommy. My ds is a year to the day younger and he's been imitating animal sounds since he was 11 mos old. He could crow like a rooster, buck buck like a chicken, woof, grunt like a pig, and now he's a year older, he knows most animal sounds. And he's already counting higher and he's always trying to sing, even if the words are off, he at least babbles, that's why I'm concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:58 PM

My son was like that with the speach, albhabet ect. He was delayed in talking due to a articulation problem, but he could do the rest of the stuff. Heck he could run a vcr before he turned 2(we didn't have cable)

CheyennesMommy2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM
I would make sure she knows its not to hurt her feelings but show her comparisons! I hope she takes it well!

Quoting ikesmommy200:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)