Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*EDITED* saw a post and have a question for everyone!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:38 AM
  • 42 Replies

how much do you tip your servers?
percent?
amount?
will you go out to eat if you can't afford to tip?
have you ever been a waitress or in the service industry?
how much do you think servers make? and what state do you live in? (different states pay differently)

and kind of unrelated...how do you treat your waitress?

Ok, after reading everyones replys I just have a few thoughts

• In texas I make 2.13 an hour, I don't get checks because it all goes out to taxes on my tips. However in some of the northern states like New York they get minimum wage or more, plus tips. So please make sure what your states policy is before you decide on your tip.
  • In the last 5 years minimum wage has gone up 3 times in Texas, but server minimum wage hasn't gone up at all, and every one still tips the same %/amount.
  • Some people tip $5 or $10 no matter what the bill is...if you have a $100 bill then $10 is not appropriate.
  • Most servers have to tip out other people. I work 2 jobs right now, for one 2% goes to the bartender, the other 1% to the bartender 1% to the buser and 1% to the foodrunner. So say on that $100 bill you tipped me $10...I have to give away $2-$3 dollars out of that. That's part of why you should tip on a percent.
  • I know I'm an outrageous tipper, and I'm by no means saying tip as much as I do, but the average tip today should be 15-20% I'm a good server and I came from a town where 20% was my average tip. Since moving my tip average has plummeted to 10%. I can't pay my bills because my bf and I are both servers and the people in the town I live in do not tip. Which is ridiculous, because it is a wealthier neighborhood than where I came from. I came from a very poor neighborhood. And on top of that this neighboorhood is SO rude!

Anyways, I just needed to rant a little, sorry. And I'm really not trying to offend anyone, I'm just struggling right now to make ends meet and it upsets me so much.

Thanks to all for your input!!! : )

~*Channah*~
Mommy to 6 month old Daniel Jude, girlfriend to Jeffrey, I've got a puppy named Cassidy, I'm a breastfeeding, circumsizing, co-sleeping, baby food making, beginner gardening, baseball game going, movie watching, cooking, baking, reading, cluttered house type of girl. I hate cleaning, love shopping, and want to make new friends.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
504bbymami
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:45 AM
I tip 20% more or less if the service is really good or really bad.

I can always afford to tip. If I didn't have a few extra dollars, I wouldn't be wasting my money eating out anyway.

No I've never been a waitress or anything like it, I could never do that but I have worked for tips.

I would guess waitresses make like 200 a night.

I ALWAYS treat them very very very nice and respectful. I don't want someone to spit in my food! Lol. And ya never know what's going on in their lives :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504bbymami
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:46 AM
Oh and louisiana
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaLion316
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:46 AM

I use the tip calculator on my phone...problem solved lol

bdflykisses
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:49 AM

I usually do the 15% for a waitress at a restaurant unless the service was terrible. If that's the case I will tip a lot less.  If i don't order a lot and the service was great, my waitress will get a lot more than that.  If I am at a bar I will tip the waitress or bartender $1-2 for each time I order something from them.
If I can't afford to tip, I'll get fast food.
I have been a waitress at a strip club (I never stripped) and at a small bar.
At the strip club I made no hourly wages.  it was purely tips and $10 or 10% if over $100 was tipped out to the bartender.  I took home about $30-40 a night.  At the bar I made $2.50 an hour plus tips and didn't have a tip out at the end of the night.  I would make anywhere from $5-100 a night in tips and paycheck every 2 weeks was around $60-70.  Both jobs I only worked 3 nights a week and about 5-7 hrs each night.  I live in Texas.

I treat any waitress/waiter with respect.  Even if I have bad service I will not be rude or demeaning.  That person is handling my food and when I get it I don't to have to wonder if it had been messed with.

bethgoedeken
by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:50 AM

Quoting SunflowerMom10:

how much do you tip your servers?   depends on the service
percent? at least 15
amount?
will you go out to eat if you can't afford to tip? nope
have you ever been a waitress or in the service industry? yes
how much do you think servers make? and what state do you live in? (different states pay differently)  depends on the resturant, TX

and kind of unrelated...how do you treat your waitress? We treat our waitresses and baristas like we would want to be treated, so pretty well. We actually got Christmas presents for our waitresses at IHOP on Christmas day (we're regulars there)

Bethany, A rockin' momma of 2

Funnybunny02
by Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:50 AM

My DH and I usually tip 15% but that's good service. We go through the drive thru if we can't tip. Like to Sonny's and such. And we are nice to our servers always even if they screw up some cause I know it must suck dealing with people all day. And hal of them aren't good tippers or are mean.

mrsmac521
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:53 AM

how much do you tip your servers?  Depends on how good my service is
percent?  not sure
amount?   usually between 5-10
will you go out to eat if you can't afford to tip? nope, if I cant afford to tip I shouldn't be spending the money
have you ever been a waitress or in the service industry? nope
how much do you think servers make? 8.50 is what I think min wage is here, could be wrong I have not worked in a while and what state do you live in? Oregon(different states pay differently)

and kind of unrelated...how do you treat your waitress? Like I would anyother person 

katieGrace
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Generally I tip my waiters 15-20%

They make min wage.

I've never been a server but I have friends who have... btw I live in CA

The last time I went out to eat I forgot to tip the server.  My husband gave me the credit card (we had to walk up and pay) and when he gave it to me I saw him take out some cash, so I assumed he left a cash tip and I didn't leave any on the card... later I found out he didn't when he asked how much I tipped.  I could die of embarrassment... I never want to go back there!

kjk110110
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:00 AM

My boyfriend is a server, here they don't make minimum wage. He makes 2.13 an hour. we tip 20% more if the service is good. If we cant tip we dont go out to eat. We treat our server like anyone else. Tx

Carmen87
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:00 AM

I tip 15% to 20% depends on the service.

I have gone to the restaurant and order takeout if I can't afford a tip.

I was a hostess for 4 years so I worked very close to the waiters and my husband was a waiter at the beginning of our marriage.

The servers at the first restaurant I worked at got paid depending on seniority but the MAX was the state MINIMUM. But the average was around $4 an hour. But they would go home with hardly anything during the week but on the weekend it was an easy $100 a night. I got paid with tip at another restaurant as a hostess and my pay was $4 and hour and I was the highest paid hostess there. The waiters in the same restaurants average was $3.75. But when I was working for tips I would go home with an easy $80 a day and I was earning 3% of what the servers were making. I live in FL...I also worked at a theme park at a restaurant and during the season the waiters were making $200 a night.

I always make sure I treat them nice and I pay attention to the service they are giving me. I try to be nice and not get them mad. They are in charge of my food after all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)