Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When can I legally get rid of it?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:42 PM
  • 33 Replies

So last summer my younger brother and his fiance told DH & I that they both were interested in joining the military and wanted our help since DH had been in for over 10 years already.
They both wanted to move here and join the guard where DH is stationed.
After a long discussion my brother's fiance decided to come first because our guard post offers a GED program prior to enlisting and she needed her GED.
She moved here in the middle of Sept while my brother finished up work and getting his ducks in a row back at their home.
She placed a change of address card to our address, was receiving mail, etc. She had moved a large majority of her crap with her.
Well, DH caught her having an affair with her recruiter and despite all of that my brother took her side (he is young its gonna happen) and she bolted and left our home and all of her crap here.  That was the last week of Oct.
Well, despite efforts to contact her about her stuff we have gotten no return contact.
So my question is, how long does it take for her junk to be considered abandoned before I can legally get rid of it? 

army  patrioticplaying soccer  expecting boy

Tyler & Athena 3/18/03              Charlie 11/4/03          Baby Carson EDD 8/1/2011

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:44 PM

i'd think that you should be able to get rid of it now, its been six months. i dont know for sure though! good luck!

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Make sure you have documentation of trying to contact her before doing so... Just in case!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abigail82
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Call your local sherrifs office. And see what they say. I have a truck in my yard for 10 it's and I cannot get rid of it legally without the title. So good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crystl_ring
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM

it depends where you live, and here i think it is only 30 days

crystl_ring
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM

if the truck is in YOUR yard, you can get it towed and it wouldnt be your problem any more LOL

Quoting Abigail82:

Call your local sherrifs office. And see what they say. I have a truck in my yard for 10 it's and I cannot get rid of it legally without the title. So good luck.

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM
You could put a lean on it, title bond and do what you want with it. Say the vehicle was left for your DH to work on. Owner never paid. You've had it for X. You need a title. They will give you the paperwork and you can get one.

Quoting Abigail82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHArmywifenmom
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I called the sheriff's office today and they told me that they couldn't help me because it was a civil matter not a criminal and that I would need to get with a civil attorney... good grief

Quoting Abigail82:

prissypoptart
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 6:29 PM
Oh my.. she doesn't seem to mind you having it. Lol.
I agree to ask local law enforcement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM

that's called a mechanic's lein. My family are in automotive. you will have to show proof of working on it.

Quoting Chris030406:

You could put a lean on it, title bond and do what you want with it. Say the vehicle was left for your DH to work on. Owner never paid. You've had it for X. You need a title. They will give you the paperwork and you can get one.

Quoting Abigail82:

pregnancy due date

kngarber
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Omg Im still stuck on she was screwing the recruiter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)