Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you've ever used Mirena I'd appreciate advice!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am currently 39 weeks pregnant and I had planned on getting the Mirena or another similar device put in because it can be kept in up to 5 years. I recently was told by a friend that if you want to remove it before the 5 year time frame is up it will cost a lot of money and insurance will not cover much of it if any. Has anyone had this experience? I don't think I want any more kids but who's to say my mind won't change within 5 years?! What are some other good options. I have been on the shot and hated it. I can never remember to take the pill and I liked the patch but it was annoying having a sticky spot or a tan line from it constantly!

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexasWife
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:19 PM

My insurance covered removal and I had it removed 6 months after getting it.

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:20 PM
I had to have mine removed due to complications. I only had it 4months or so. Insurance covered it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RockstarsMoM08
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM
Insurance covers it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maliya0608
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Insurance should cover it, I don't see why it wouldn't. I've had mine for 3 years now and love it. =)

k.raine
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM

My friend just got mirena.  Its been a few weeks now and she still complains of cramping daily.  She said she has to take some advil every morning just to deal. 

I was on nuvaring and LOVED it.  Just an alternative idea. 

I dont know anything about the cost of mirena, I think it all depends on your insurance.

mysons_r_mylife
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:49 PM
I have the copper iud that works for 10 years instead of 5 and it doesn't release any hormones. I had one before my boys and my insurace did cover the removal because I complained of inflamation & discomfort. I wouldn't change this method of birth control.

Best if luck ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindsayLL
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Insurance does cover it...I have medicade and had mine removed 3 years after having it. Hated the darn thing. Nuvaring is pretty great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hoevegirl1986
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM

well my insurance company didn't pay for it and we got it put in oct 2009 and got it out july 2010 and we are still paying on it it was $800.00 and i won't get it again i won't go back on any bc. NFP for us.

mommy2sebass09
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM

ive had mine for 2 years now an i love it, some women dont like it but i do, just like every medication out there you have your side affects but i love it!!!!!!!!!!

fenderkw
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I had it for a little over a year an a half and LOVED it SO much!! No periods, no worrying, it was AMAZING!! I will DEFINITELY be getting it again after we finally get pregnant and have the little one. My insurance covered both inserting it as well as removal. Not a problem at all, and I don't think we have "amazing" insurance or anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)