Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my sister makes me so mad....vent.

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM
  • 56 Replies
Well to start, she had an apartment that she couldn't afford because she's a compulsive spender. She moved back in with my parents to pay off all if her debt. She asked dh and I if she could put some of her things in our garage for a couple of weeks. Well being the nice people we are we said yes. She puts a couch and love seat, her king size mattress and box spring and her kitchen table and chairs in our garage. Well we don't live in the greatest neighborhood so we park our cars in our garage. Since my sister had all of those things in there we were unable to fit one of our cars in there so we had no choice to put the couch and love seat in our house. We then asked her if we could just buy it off of her bc we liked the way it looked in our house for $100 she said yes and said we can have it for $50. We paid her $60. Well she loses her job because she was a no show. All of a sudden the first thing she remembers is the money we supposedly owe her. I tell her I'm not giving her anymore because I've been hoarding her stuff for 9 months. Well we get in a big argument over it. You would think since we saved her tons of money by her not having to get a storage unit she would cut me a break anyways....nope. she never speaks to me unless she needs something which ticks me off. Well today she texts me asking if she can stop by to get her kitchen table and some money. I tell her I'm not home and tell her she never speaks to me is when she needs money or a favor. She gets mad and says she won't bug me anymore and as far as she's concerned she doesnt have a sister anymore. I don't know what to do with her stuff. I think I've done a lot for her. A few days ago dh and I dropped our plans so we could get her car out of inpound. I can't tell you how many times I've helped her. she wants nothing to do with me unless it benefits her. She also does nothing to help herself. Do you think I was being unreasonable?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaylinsmom1
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:36 PM

no a storage unit is 50 or more a month so tell her after her few weeks she said she needed, you started charging. If your not her "sister" anymore then treat it as a bussiness arangement and tell her she owes you money now,bet she wont ask again lol how old is she. sounds kinda imature IMO good luck tho

LadyEmrys
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:36 PM

nope. stick to your guns.

ginnyk87
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM
She's 21. She's very immature. I'm going to do that! Thanks for the idea!

Quoting jaylinsmom1:

no a storage unit is 50 or more a month so tell her after her few weeks she said she needed, you started charging. If your not her "sister" anymore then treat it as a bussiness arangement and tell her she owes you money now,bet she wont ask again lol how old is she. sounds kinda imature IMO good luck tho

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Haynes_mommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:43 PM

OMG it sounds like  your describing my husbands whole family to a T. Especially his one sister! You have done nothing wrong and I am in agreeance with you 100% We've been going through this with his family for 7 1/2 yrs and we finally said were are completely done and want nothing more to do with any of them. And it's been like that for out 9 months for his mom and one sister and the other sister that this sounds like it has been 2 yrs of no contact! If you ever need someone to talk to that has been down that road I'm always here to listen!

hugs

MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM

sorry, I just had my BIL pass away... so with the loss in the family I just don't see $40 as worth it to lose one of my sisters. I'd have just given her the money since that's how much you offered to begin with.

immature or not, she's your sister. you only have so many of those. and losing them is just not worth it.

My rule: never loan out more than I can afford to give away. Never allow a "temporary" situation to happen that I wouldn't allow to be permanent. and always set limits PRIOR to agreeing to anything.

I have immature sisters too. ones that only call when they want something. but really, how many sisters will you ever have?

that's my stand on it. I hope you think about it.

PrissyKrissy05
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:46 PM
I agree

Quoting jaylinsmom1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasWife
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:50 PM

She sounds like she is use to having everything handed to her. I hope you do the charge thing. I bet you she changes her tune quick. I also hope it doesn't cause more drama though.

GiannasMommy06
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Sounds like she's an immature selfish person and you should seperate yourself from her! If she can't be happy with all the help she's recieved from you in the past and wants to be petty and say your not her sister then so be it! I would go to the courthouse to see what your rights are with all her shit being in your garage but in my state if they don't come get stuff within 30 days you can trash it, keep it, or sell it..I'd tell her she had 30 days to get it out or it's going to the dump!

Chrissy_Lynn
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:52 PM

No, you are storing her stuff for free , if she had to use a storage unit she would be paying atleast $30 a month plus most places require a security deposit 

Your sister sounds like my dads brothers. My dad allowed his one brother to move with us to another state and he moved back to  the state we came from after 2 months because he missed drugs and hookers. He left all his stuff and wanted my parents to store it for free, his stuff filled up half of the 2 car garage. He never offered to pay them for storing it, he ripped them out of $100 when they brought him some stuff and they said if he wanted anything else to pay before they came down. It has been 3 years and they finally got rid of his stuff last year and that was because they had to leave the last house because the landlord was insane and could not fit his crap on the truck, they made it clear weeks before they probably could not fit it and it would be left behind but he did not listen so it all got left behind and now all he does is bitch to my grandma about how my parents basically threw his stuff away. They gave him many chances to get it, they offered to take it down if he paid before hand but he never did anything to get it so he lost it all, amongst the stuff was a new $2500 scooter.My attitude towards it is karma is a bi** , him losing his stuff was payback for all the stuff he stole from my family while living with us and while staying at our old house, he sold mine and my sisters bikes , stole a load of my dads tools and a cb radio and more.

ginnyk87
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:53 PM
I offered 100 but said she would take 50 so she still got more.than she would settle for. I've tried for many years to be close, but she's always treated me bad. she would tell me I'm fat, ugly. She doesn't give a crap about me or anyone in my family. She's put my parents through hell. It's not just over 40 bucks. She isn't good to me when all I have done is be good to her!

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

sorry, I just had my BIL pass away... so with the loss in the family I just don't see $40 as worth it to lose one of my sisters. I'd have just given her the money since that's how much you offered to begin with.

immature or not, she's your sister. you only have so many of those. and losing them is just not worth it.

My rule: never loan out more than I can afford to give away. Never allow a "temporary" situation to happen that I wouldn't allow to be permanent. and always set limits PRIOR to agreeing to anything.

I have immature sisters too. ones that only call when they want something. but really, how many sisters will you ever have?

that's my stand on it. I hope you think about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)