Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3-4 "simple" questions....

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:05 AM
  • 26 Replies

Ok... so I will be having my first baby May 9th and I had some (I hope) simple questions:

1. What lotion can/should I use for my nipples when breast feeding?

2. I was told I should get nipple pads for my bras incase I leak. Where can I get these and does anyone have any brand suggestions?

3. Does that cut they do to prevent ripping during labor hurt? or do they at least numb you up first?

4. I have been applying cocoa butter cream to my tummy at least once a day and my stomace still looks HORRIBLE with all the stretch marks. Can anyone suggestion a lotion I can use to make these go away/prevent more from coming?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:12 AM

1. Olive oil or Lanolin

2. They have disposables at Babies R Us, Target, etc. All brands are pretty similar. They also make cloth ones for more eco-conscious mamas, but I've only seen them for sale online.

3. They cut me. By the time it got to that point I was already pretty numb and in a lot of pain all over. They were trying to stretch the skin so they wouldn't have to cut and I said "JUST GET THIS BABY OUT OF MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!" lol... so they cut, they baby came out, and they put her on my chest. Best moment of my life. It hurt a little when they stitched it up, but seriously, at that point you're just so "in it", nothing feels the way you think it will, and you just *know* you can handle anything in that moment. It's sore for a few days afterwards. You can freeze a pad and put it in your panties to help with the pain. They can give you pain meds, but the less pain meds the better if you're breastfeeding.

4. Unfortunately, the only thing that worked on my stretch marks is time. My stomach looked awful right after birth, but it's MUCH better now 2 years later, and I'm much more comfortable with the idea of my 'mommy marks'. Savannah is definitely worth it ;) I used Mederma, Cocoa Butter, and a couple other things, but like I said.. time.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:23 AM

1) I didnt BF with my first, So idk about that one, sorry! lol

2) I used the disposable pads that I bought for a descent price at Wal Mart (very handy btw)

3)I had an episiotomy with my first and it really wasnt that bad. It was worse the next day. Going to the bathroom kinda hurt but use the Tucks wipes and it helps. (they also gave me dermoplast to spray down there, and that helped me alot with the pain)

4) I didnt get a HUGE amount of stretch marks, but the ones Ive got, you can barely even see now. I used Palmers cocoa butter with my first. This time im using the Palmers brand, but its the stretch mark lotion instead of the regular cocoa butter. So far so good. It just takes some time and they will slowly lighten up. Dont worry. 

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:27 AM

4. Your going to get stretch marks no matter what you put on your tummy. Sorry. There's no real proven method to stop them. They will go away. 5.5 years later I can hardly see them any more. I have to really look for them. 

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:30 AM

I read in some health magazing when I was pregnant with my 2nd, that strech marks are genetic. if your gonna get them....your gonna get them.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:30 AM
1 . Dientes breast feed
2. A Walmart brand , i leaked alot
3. I tore ... In that moment u wont care about anything ! And pain will be so bad u probablly wont even realize it . I just felt the ring of fire and that was that
4. I didnt use anything for strech marks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:31 AM
3. No you'll be numb. I tore a 3rd degree and didn't feel it!!

4. There's no magic lotion to make them better. My suggestion is to use pure vitamin e.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I can't answer #1 and 3 because I didn't breastfeed so I know nothing about nipple lotion, and I can't answer 3 b/c I had to have an emergency c-section so I know nothing about that either. (sorry)

I know you can get the pads for your bras at all kinds of stores. I know they have them at Walmart, Target, Kmart, etc.

And for streach marks, I heard that BioOil works really well.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:54 AM

1. Lanolin. Safe for you and baby. The hospital should give you some.

2. You can buy disposables at wal-mart. Medela makes reusable ones, but they leak easily, so I wouldn't recommend them.

3. They don't have to cut you. They can just let you tear naturally. I tore with both mine, but only a little bit, I didn't feel it with my son, but I did with my daughter.

4. Nothing to make them go away. They'll fade over time though.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Lanolin is good nipple cream

I used a cheap brand of nursing pads and they were fine. I got them at target, i think

the episiotomy is to help you from tearing and they usually don't have time to numb you after they realize you need one. You probably won't notice because of that adreniline rush. It's worse the next day. I tore just a little with my first, but I have seen really horrible tears. The episiotomy will make a cleaner cut to sew up.

Nothing will prevent stretch marks or make them disappear. Vitamin E lotion and anything that says it will make your skin more elastic will help your skin stretch a little better, but it usually just prevents that itchy feeling. I had a ton of stretch marks, they fade over time. Both pregnancies, I used a lot of products and there's no magic cream.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:00 AM

i didnt breast feed so i cant help you with the first question...i just bought disposable breast pads from walmart...worked for #3 some people dont rip....i didnt with either one of my kiddos, and unfortunately...theres nothing that can actually get rid of the stretch marks, time will help them fade away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)