Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another reason for breeding restrictions...

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM
  • 21 Replies

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Toddler%27s-mom:-%27I-don%27t-want-her%27

Toddler's mom: 'I don't want her'

23-year-old had three kids in two years

Updated: Saturday, 23 Apr 2011, 10:34 AM EDT
Published : Friday, 22 Apr 2011, 5:05 PM EDT

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - Investigators say a 23-year-old mother who left her 1 1/2 year-old toddler at a fire station Wednesday said, "I don't want her and I don't need her".

The woman had three children all within the last 27 months.

A probate court record from May 2009 shows that the woman was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder , bipolar disorder and that she was suffering from depression.

The probate file was created when there was an effort to have the woman admitted to a psychiatric hospital.

In the file, a professional wrote that the woman had just found out she was pregnant with her second child, which would be the toddler she tried to surrender. The official wrote that the woman reported the pregnancy was both "unexpected and undesired".

"...(S)he intends to commit suicide via Vicodin overdose," was a line in the 2009 report. It was also reported that she made a prior attempt at suicide by running out into traffic at age 15. That incident required inpatient psychiatric care.

The children are now officially in state custody, but the judge ruled that all three could stay with their maternal grandmother for the time being. The mother is only allowed to have supervised visits at this time.

There's no word right now on what might ultimately happened regarding the woman's parental rights. The judge set another hearing for June.

24 Hour News 8 was told the children's father does want to be involved but was not at Friday's hearing because he's on probation for criminal sexual conduct. He reportedly did not show because he didn't want to be arrested for failing to register as a sex offender.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Courtney610
by Courtney on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Wow.  Poor kids.  :( 

metalhealthmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:47 AM

that's just sad. my mom had a few 'issues' but was never properly diagnosed. 

i can never understand what goes on in their minds. 'i dont want her.' even my  mother wanted me-when she was well and healthy. 

josiahmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM

So wrong

chocolat-smiles
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Quoting Courtney610:

Wow.  Poor kids.  :( 

slm047
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I know birth controls can fail, and condoms may break, but it seems like this woman didn't do much to prevent a pregnancy. If you do NOT want another child and CAN NOT or WILL NOT take care of another child, every measure should be taken to prevent a pregnancy. I feel bad for the children =/.

TexasWife
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Oh those poor babies. That is so sad. Mommy doesn't want me and daddy is a sex offender. Wow just wow.

sweetcandiecane
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Wow poor children ...so wrong on many levels

UrbanSoccerMom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM

the fact that she has schizo-effective disorder makes this whole common sense approach most of us take null and void. I'm honestly glad she was able to drop her off at a fire station vs. killing her.

I had a father I worked with at cps who had the disorder... scary guy if you pushed the wrong buttons.

Quoting slm047:

I know birth controls can fail, and condoms may break, but it seems like this woman didn't do much to prevent a pregnancy. If you do NOT want another child and CAN NOT or WILL NOT take care of another child, every measure should be taken to prevent a pregnancy. I feel bad for the children =/.

manifer_momma
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM
Wow, how sad:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
knockedupagain
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM
Guys a dirt bag and that woman needs to be admitted and stay there so they know she is taking her meds. Its just sad. She might not be able to afford the meds so I'd hate to judge her but what she did WAS wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)