• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For moms who work with their kids in daycare....

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have been a SAHM for 5 years.  DS is almost 5 and DD is 3.  He will be going to school next year and camp this summer.  Which he is excited about.  He has been going to mothers day out for 2 years now and just LOVES it.  DD is another story.  She is VERY attached to me.  Never been with a sitter except my SDs mom.  If I try to leave her anywhere she cries, cries, and cries.  This is the part that is hard for me.  We need the money so I need to work.  I feel like I am going to be disappointing her but I need to do this.

My other thing is we will have to be leaving the house about 5:45AM.  Not anything she is used to either lol.  The kids are used to me making them a good breakfast in the AM.  What do you feed your kids that is not awful for them for breakfast?

SD is 12 but since DH and I will be both  working this summer she will be visiting her mom during the week and her moms weekends and we will get her on our weekends.  We are switching the schedule this summer (she mainly lives with us) because I dont think she needs to be home alone all day everyday and her mom is a SAHM.  So it will be good for her.  The little ones will get used to it but I know they will be confused as they are super close.  But SD has a younger brother and sister at her moms so it will be good for them as well.  And we will have sleep overs at each others houses with the kids so I think they will survive for the summer.

I think I have picked out a very good daycare.  Its expensive, there are ones that are cheaper but this one has alot of activities.  It is $165 a week.  But they do soccer, tiquando(sp), have a huge play area, and great centers and curriculum.  So hofully that will interest her.

Changes, Changes, Changes =(

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xxLukesMamaxx
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I don't put my kids in daycare but I know what a tough decision it is so good luck! It sounds like a nice daycare! 

NevaehsMomy1013
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:53 AM

i didnt want to  put Dd in daycare but we needed the money  and i needed an education. i work at the daycare dd is at. and as far as breakfast goes  my daycare provides acooked breakfast , cooked lunch and a snack for the kids.... they have like pancakes and sausage  with fruit somedays, others they have biscuits and ham and fruit  its always  something different.  and my dd loves it there she asks for  the kids and the two women that work at the dayacre  by name.  they have also  become part of our family, dd is in an at hoem daycare b/c i wanted her to have the at home  comfortable feeling, though she will be switching to a preschool  but only because going to that specific  preschool insures her a spot in  there private school.

cowgirlsmommy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:59 AM
Chances are your daycare will provide breakfast but if you want to make it yourself look for things you can bake so you can just toss it in the oven before you shower. They will adjust to the new schedule after a few weeks and your daughter won't be so clingy when she has friends to play with and distract her. Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2twins9909
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Quoting xxLukesMamaxx:

I don't put my kids in daycare but I know what a tough decision it is so good luck! It sounds like a nice daycare! 

HeatherSumowski
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM

My DD has been in daycare for a long time.  She never had a problem with it until she was about 18 months old.  At that point she would cry and throw a fit as soon as I'd drop her off.  After about a month she got to where she looked forward to going to the sitter's.  When we transitioned into a preschool she was super nervous.  The funny thing was, on her first day I cried more than she did.  She cried when we left the house but when I dropped her off she was super excited to meet new friends.  There are still some days that she would rather just stay at home with me but she is so excited when it's time to go to school.  She loves being with her friends and doing all the fun stuff at school.  Breakfast was an issue at first too.  She always ate breakfast at home so we made weekend breakfast time a special time.  She gets to go to school and eat breakfast with her friends and on the weekends we do special stuff, like this morning we had pancackes and she helped me make them.  It worked out great!  Eventually kids have to transition into the real world and it seems that this will be helpful later in life. 

I am a married, student nurse, vaccinating, public schooling, non-smoking, Evangelical Presbyterian, pro-life, gluten-free, dog owning, mom and stepmom. And its OK if you don't agree because I'll just pray for you!

happy

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
DeputyWifeJen
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM

They will be just fine. Take your daughter to see the daycare before starting so she can see it before hand and you can talk about how fun it will be. Get her excited by buying her a backpack, nap mat, or lunchbox, something just for daycare. When you drop her off don't sneak out, be honest with her.

My kids have been in daycare since they were 6 weeks I returned to work. They have always been just fine and are smart, independent kids. It's always hard helping an older child adjust to daycare, but be patient and expect that it will be tough for a bit.

DeputyWifeJen
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I'm sorry ladies, no offense, but if you've never done it, how do you know what a tough decision it is?

Quoting mom2twins9909:

Quoting xxLukesMamaxx:

It is easy to raise a child you love,
the true challenge is raising one the world can love.
~Jen~
Wife to Brian since 11-27-04, Mommy to Will since 6-28-07 and Bennett since 12-5-09
mommyof3-2008
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:06 AM
Thank you ladies! Its nice to read that things will work out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kloesmommy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM
I had Kloe in daycare around 15 months. I gave them a list of things she can and can't have and they stuck to it. They were very careful and even allowed for me to bring specialty items for her (we are organic and a lot of the things she eats, we buy at specialty stores and in Florida where we were, there weren't many specialty stores-we ordered most online)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nurbabe82
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM

She will make out fine. There will be an adjustment period so prepare yourself for that and prepare her too. Tell in advance what is going on so she will know. And durring that adjustment time don't beat yourself up and know it will get better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)