Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So the world is really gonna end in October (lol)

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM
  • 23 Replies
HIGH POINT, N.C. (WGHP)-- Signs have popped up around the Triad announcing the Rapture will happen this Saturday and Judgment Day will be in October.

The sign contains a message from an evangelist based in Oakland named Harold Camping, who claims Christ is returning this weekend and the world is ending by October. Camping says the claims come straight from the Bible.

Camping is a Christian radio broadcaster and president of Family Radio, a California-based religious broadcasting network that spans more than 150 outlets in the United States. His current end times prediction is that the Rapture will be on May 21, 2011 and that God will completely destroy the Earth and the universe five months later on October 21.

Camping previously claimed that the world would end in September, 1994.

Robert McKeehan, a pastor at Community Bible Church in High Point, said he is on board with the idea of the Rapture.

"The bible predicts that one day Christ is returning," said McKeehan. "However, (the Bible) never sets a date."

So many ask, how did Camping come up with the May 21 date?

"It involves a lot of numerology and some foreign concepts that I've never read in scripture. He doesn't really provide any basis for that, so, I'm at an absolute loss for how he's come up with that," said McKeehan.

According to Elon Professor Lynn Huber, the Rapture idea comes from reading certain parts of the Bible.

"All of those, sort of, New Testament texts have the sense of what we call, 'Imminent Eschatological Expectation'... a sense that, at any moment, Jesus could return," said Huber.

This idea of thinking that the messiah will come in our lifetimes is nothing new. Readers of this book have believed it would happen in their lifetime as long as the book has been around. That, though, may just be quintessential human hubris.

"To say this is about May 21st, 2011, is really in some sense, trying to say this book is for us, just us. It didn't have meaning in the first century, it didn't have meaning in the second century, it's solely about us. I think that that diminishes the text in really significant ways," said Huber.

According to McKeehan, every failed prediction of Judgment Day chips away at the integrity of what Jesus promised, that he would return.

"Christians have believed that for 2,000 years and we continue to believe that until the day it happens but every time a person makes a prediction and it doesn't come true, it just give Christianity a black eye for no good reason," said McKeehan.

Elon Professor Lynn Huber said if the Judgment Day prediction does not come true, the group will likely just set another date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XoXo.Nikki.XoXo
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM
Yeah if it doesn't happen in October, it will then be 2012... and then when it doesn't happen again they will just formulate another date. Lol the whole thing is silly!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
activitymode
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM
Whackadoo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honeybun09
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Quoting XoXo.Nikki.XoXo:

Yeah if it doesn't happen in October, it will then be 2012... and then when it doesn't happen again they will just formulate another date. Lol the whole thing is silly!

My3LuVs83
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM
Dont they have anything better to do?

Quoting XoXo.Nikki.XoXo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenoxclan
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:12 PM

but but but.. I don't want to miss Halloween!

Lusty Lenox

save the date

Jewels11
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Quoting My3LuVs83:

Dont they have anything better to do?

Quoting XoXo.Nikki.XoXo:

Agreed

hailey_perez200
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM
Cant this guy get in trouble 4 inducing panic?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calimommy1021
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Wow, Juddgement day and the rapture happen on the same day! This is ridiculous lol. People have no life.

amiesue1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM

oh my they never give up

mom2twins9909
by on May. 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I'm SORRRRRRRRRRRY.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)