Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Did you Lose So Much Weight? My Story

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM
  • 25 Replies

Hi ladies! I wanted to post my story about my weight loss.  Many of you have asked how I've lost my weight because of my weight loss pics.  Soooo... here's my story:

I have ALWAYS been a big girl.  I weight 180lbs by the time I was 8 years old.

I was a pretty "normal" weight until the age of 6 and then I started packing on the lbs.  I was adopted so my adoptive parents could not figure out what was wrong with me.  I had numerous blood tests done in which all came back "normal" no thyroid issues...etc, however the weight kept packing and packing on.  I was 200lbs on my 10th birthday.  I felt trapped in my body all of my life.  Food became my only comfort.  In elementary school I was made fun of all of the time and can remember sitting alone at the lunch room table often and having no friends. 

I remember getting up to 330lbs my junior year of high school ( I was 16) and seeing myself in photos of a play I was in being MORTIFIED.

Between my Junior and Senior years of high school I lost nearly 75lbs by being on the Atkins low carb diet, which during my senior year started to spiral into another form of eating disorder.  I became bulimic, started eating only pickles for meals and running everyday.  The thinnest I weight in high school was 260lbs.

Then life happened.  I became very depressed in my freshman year of college and the pounds started packing on.  I shot back up to 330lbs again.  In March or 2007 I found my birth father who lived in Tx.  He talked me into moving to TX to get to know him, and I did.  He and is new wife were not at all as nice as they portrayed themselves to be and after a year of living with them left me stranded in Texas.  The second abandonment of my birthfather made me very depressed again.  I gained more weight.  Then, in April, 2008 my sister Jennifer died of a massive heart attack caused by a lifetime of morbid obesity.  She was only 29.  She weighed around 400lbs when she died.  At the time I weighed 360lbs.  I became very determined to lose weight to live on my sister's legacy and help others.  Eventually, I don't really know what happened.  I met my husband and just gave up.  By July of 2009 I weighed 400lbs. I was only 22. I was desperate, I would go to the gym, but my eating habits were horrible.  I was addicted to food.  I auditioned for Biggest Loser even :)  By January 2010, I decided ENOUGH was ENOUGH.  I started looking into Gastric Bypass surgery.  I was 430lbs.

This is the first meeting with my surgeon in Feb, 2010:

I was absolutely blessed with my surgery.  I was approved for full coverage from my insurance and had full Roux-en-y  gastric bypass surgery  on 3/15/10. 

My weight started coming off very very fast. I lost around 100lbs after 4 months.

I was able to move much easier and could exercise much better/more efficient.

By about 7 months post op my weight loss started to slow down and I was able to eat more.  I realized this would be a knock down drag out fight to a healthy weight.  I hired a personal trainer and started attending Zumba class 4 times a week.  I noticed my body losing and toning up.  I still struggle with my eating, horribly.  It's an everyday fight, and everyday process. Today, I weight 260lbs.  I still have 100lbs to lose to reach my goal weight.  Anything worth having, is worth fighting for.

Some people may criticize me for having Gastric Bypass Surgery... calling it the "easy way out."   At 430lbs... I HAD to have a way out or I could have died young like my sister.  I do not think surgery is for everyone.  For me it was my saving grace.  The tool that helped me.  My Surgery pointed me towards the finish line, but I have to run/finish this race. 

I want to get to goal and become a personal trainer/Zumba instructor to help others fight obesity. 

Thank you for all of your kind comments and support.  Any questions?  I am an open book.

Common Question:

What about loose skin?:

I do have loose skin.  Especially in my arms ( I have bingo wings)

BOOBS> :( ( I went from a 52 DDD to a 38 D)

Legs, and stomach.

Also, I have video blogged my journey on youtube: www.youtube.com/ellewilliams

Trying to concieve after 2 years and 170lbs lost!

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kleigh24
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:39 PM

your so pretty!  Im happy for you, I dont really have a story but you inspire me!

Meghan1987
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:39 PM
Congrats to u!!! My mom had gastric bypass too n she looks n feels great! She lost alot of weight! She tried every diet n excerise out there. U look great n hot!!! ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bfarlz88
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Wow, this is amazing! Good for you Momma!:) I'm so sorry about your sister...But I'm sure she's proud of you and rooting you through every workout!

My normal weight is about 180...I gained 60lbs with my first son and by the time I was back to 200...I got pregnant again!lol. I definitly havnt experienced anything near to what you have but I've been concerned about my weight since about the time I turned 10...I was just this tall chunky awkward thing. I hold myself better as a woman but I still want to make it down to 160!

what do you suggest with a diet plan? I eat HORRIBLE too! I LOVE pizza and icecream and chocolate and pastas...ah.LOL!

activitymode
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Keep it up! You look great :) 

hrj75165
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM

ohh woww!! you look great! I had it also in 12-09. I started at 280 and have gotten down to 175. I havent weighed 175 since 6th grade! RNY is BY NO MEANS a easy way out! I had many complications and had to be hospitalized a few times, but I wouldnt take it back. I can play with my son on the floor, I can run after him, and I can fit down a slide with him. I am currently pregnant with #2 :) This pregnancy has been much healthier than my first! my sugar is normal and my blood pressure is great. I wish you much luck on your ttc journey and reaching your goal weight!

How has your overall health changed?

wilesmomma
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM

That is so amazing! Congrats on making it this far!!

littlest.angel
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Im happy for you! The surgery isnt for everyone, your right, but Im glad it was beneficial for you and you were able to loose the weight that you have. Keep it up to the finish and maintain a healthy lifestyle!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnvplus2
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM
You look amazing girl!! You're a beautiful woman. Good for you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
My3LuVs83
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM
Your story is amazing and inspiring! I cant see the pics but im sure you look great! Keep it up i know its hard but i can tell youre a strong woman!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemissmj
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:59 PM

You look amazing. Keep up the good work. Your story is very touching and inspiring. Thank you for sharing with us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)