Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just curious...may end up being hot topic *Edit with more info*

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:12 PM
  • 118 Replies

I was curious what people would feel about mandatory paternity tests at birth. My DH lived for 5 years believing he was the father to a little boy. The BM didn't let him have much time with him but she did make him pay child support. Well we found out the boy is not his and we're in the middle of court proceedings to disestablish paternity. We haven't seen the child in over 2 years and she isn't fighting us. It's a sad situation. It seems crazy but I think a mandatory paternity test at birth will completely eliminate these problems. What do you think?

A number of comments have been asking if my DH had any kind of thought that the little boy was his.  The answer is no.  He had no idea.  He and BM were married and there was no possibility for infidelity according to my DH.  He was from a dysfunctional home as a kid and his main goal in life was to be a good dad and keep his family together.  Not all women are like this so I don't want there to be some kind of confusion that I am generalizing women as whores...I am simply asking if you think this would be helpful.  Also I have no idea about who would actually pay for it.  I just wanted to know what people thought about doing the test, not who would pay for it.

I am a married, student nurse, vaccinating, public schooling, non-smoking, Evangelical Presbyterian, pro-life, gluten-free, dog owning, mom and stepmom. And its OK if you don't agree because I'll just pray for you!

happy

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlWSlingshot
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I'm anti mandatory anything. But if anyone has concerns about paternity, they should pursue it. I guess maybe if they required paternity for child support cases that require court time, maybe that would make sense.

littlemissmj
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Hmmm maybe a paternity test for who is signing the birth certificate? That sounds better to me. The father of the child may not even be there at birth. I mean, there's people in the service or perhaps just working... maybe it's a single mom, type of thing. But, in order to get benefits from someone there needs to be a paternity test unless the birth certificate was signed and there is no debate... so, testing when signing.

toughnsweet
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM
I don't think that's right. I think it should always be offered, but never mandatory.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kkcontreras

I think it seems a little silly. If you have suspicions, get one, if not, you shouldn't be forced to. But whatever, as long as I don't have to pay for an unnecessary test. 

HeatherSumowski
That's a good idea! Sadly he never thought he wasn't his bc he was married to her then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeatherSumowski
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:16 PM
Oh no...I was thinking it should just go with the other tests done at birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesAndNicksMom

i think there are a lot of people out there who would rather not know.  obviously if you think something is up, get one but i don't think it should be mandatory.  (i've seen a lot of episodes of maury where the guy decides that he doesn't want to hear the results because he loves the kid too much.)

FuzzybugsMommy

I'm against this, and I have a very personal reason as to why.

kleigh24

I think its a good idea but that would never happen.

activitymode
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:17 PM

No. I think people who question the paternity should get one done but to have it mandatory? No way. 

I'm sorry about your dh. I feel really bad for the little boy :( 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)