Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Ok just wanted to put this out there, any advice is appriciated!!

So we have gotten brooke to sleep in her crib now....ecstatic about that......now we are facing yet another problem....she has gas so bad that it hurts her when she passes it, its the most heart wrenching thing to watch and she screams, but once the gas is gone, shes fine again, happy brooke is back.  In the last two days shes also gotten constipated.....called the doctor and they said to add another ounce of water to her bottles, so i did that, her stool got a bit softer, but not much, so i went back to making her bottles the right way....she gets constipated again....so now shes always hungry....and today was horrible....she cried all day long, UNLESS, i was holding her, which i cant do, i cant hold her all day long....she finally took a nap in her crib, but an hour later, she was screaming her head off.....i just dont know what to do....the doctor makes me feel like i am overreacting....any idea about how to approach tthe subject with the pediatrician tomorrow?  Im just getting frustrated....or should i just switch her formula and then tell the doctor that i did....shes on similac organic right now...and breastfeed a couple times a day too.....she was doing ok on the formula up until two days ago,......

by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 8:54 PM
Replies (11-19):
hehasmyheart
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 9:45 PM
When my daughter was little she would go two days without pooping, we would put a teaspoon of karo syrup (the dark kind not the light) in her bottle and it would work. When the I told her doctor i was doing that he said that its actually a good remedy. You can buy it at any grocery store!
momoflukas
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 9:49 PM
I am so sorry.  My son was the exact same way it was horrible.  He is three months now and he is totally outgrown it.  I promise they do grow out of it.  It is really hard while it lasts though.  Okay so here is what I did maybe it will work for you too.  My ped told me to use Gentle ease because it is for gassy babies.  I use it and it seemed to help.  Also I don't put how many scoops of formula it says too in the bottle because it was hard on his tummy.  Right now he eats five ounces and I put two scoops and just tiny little bit more in his bottle.  Disney also makes a a gripe water that is called tummy soothers and it is awesome as soon as I started putting that in his bottle three times a day it made a world of difference.  I also bought these drops called kid a col that is for colicy babies and every time he has a really bad coughing fit I give him that and hurry and put the pinky in his mouth it seems to really soothe him.  I am so sorry.  Don't let your ped. make you feel dumb for bringing her in.  Lukas and I have been in the ped office so much for his crying and also because he has been sick a lot.  Do you have anybody that can help you?  A baby that cries all the time can be SOOO stressful sometimes you just need a break.  I remember being in tears because I didn't know how to help him and the crying just kept going on and on and it was so hard.
rnbwbrite
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 10:11 PM
My son was the same exact way!! We solved the entire delima by putting him on Enfamile Gentle Ease formula (purple can). Target make the equivilent of it called TB Hydrolize (dark purple can). It has less dairy and the protiens are already broken down so baby's little tummy doesn't have to work as hard to digest it. But they still get the same nutrients and vitamens.This is the cheapest thing you can do to help your baby so I would try it first!!
meri_bug23
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 10:18 PM
how ald is she. if shes old enough a little bit of apple juice would prabably help. its what i give my daughter.
ProudTXMommy
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 10:21 PM
Ok the Karo Syrup works great!!!! Also prune juice if over 3 months old. Another thing for gas is take onions and cut it up boil it in some water, and let it cool down, and it helps gather the gas and pass it quickly!!! Just put it in a bottle like formula... it works great... and take a warm rag, and put it in a zip-loc bag and put it on the tummy and press the legs against the tummy and bicycle them... that really does work.. good luck!
Krystle
Starchsr16
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 10:22 PM
Shes only 5 weeks old....we see the ped tomorrow, but who knows what he'll say, probably tell me to wait it out like he keeps doing...easy for him to say..... 
katie31
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 10:23 PM

MY SON WAS ABOUT 2 MONTHS AND WHEN I WAS DONE BREASTFEEDING, THE FORMULA I USED FIRST WAS SIMILAC ADVANCED AND ALL HE DID WAS SPIT IT ALL UP AND THEN I USED ENFAMIL LIPIL AND HE GOT CONSTIPATED. MY AUNT IS A NURSE AND SHE TOLD ME TO GIVE HIM 1 OUNCE OF PEAR JUICE AND 1 OUNCE OF WATER AND IT DID WORK AND THE ONLY FORMULA THAT WORKED FOR MY SON WAS ENFAMIL PROSOBEE OR ISOMIL. GOOD LUCK

redneckangel24
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 10:26 PM
my doctor told me to use kayro syrup for hunters constipation 1 table spoon for every 4 ounces but to tell you the truth i just put 2 ounces of the kayro in his bottle for about 2 days and he was fine i also use gas drops if you havent tried them yet
kalie
by on Apr. 22, 2007 at 10:32 PM
MY DAUGHTER HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH GAS! i tried several formulas and then i switched to ENFAMIL GENTLE EASE and she is fine now. she still has gas episodes every once in a while but not near as bad. also for constipation try baby apple juice half water and half juice. it works wonders. or prune baby food if she is old enough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN