Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you get a new vechicle everytime yours breaks down?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:11 AM
  • 42 Replies
Seriously, maybe where I live people are just slow. My sister replaced her transmission in feb which was a grand (we tried to talk her into a new car and she said no) so last week her fuel pump goes out, her bf can fix it and the part is right around $100. What does she do? Now she decides to get a new car.

So I was telling a coworker about my air being broke. She says she'd just get a new car. It just needs recharged, it costs me 15 for the can and I can put it in myself.

I mean does everyone just decide when your car needs repaired, it's just better to get a new one? Or if it's a reasonable amount, do you try to fix the one you have?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
morethanme_you
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:13 AM

We've done it more than a few times. Now, my van has a boo-boo and the check engine light is on -- the upside is that it's paid off so we're just gonna fix it all and keep it. It's a 2005 and I'd like to have something newer but this will do until we can afford the new van I really want!

MOTHERofTHR3383
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:14 AM
Well my 99 honda accord is paid for, it has 235,000 miles on it! We just paid $315 for 2 brand new axles. I would keep getting it fixed no matter how much repairs would be bc not having a car payment is great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TDMumof3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:18 AM

We try to fix before buying, but if it's unreasonable and we think it's going to continue on costing us everytime we turn around then a new car is in order.

Right now we have an 04 kia Spectra and we have only had to replace the windshield, tires, alternator to keep it running in the yr we've had it.

RheaF
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:19 AM

DH does all of our car repairs. We cannot afford ot go get a new car everytime something goes wrong,lol.

BlkWingedAngel
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:19 AM
We fix our cars. Its paid off and he is a mechanic so its easy for us to fix it. Though we will be getting a second car soon. Now we bought ta used car when the old cars repairs were going to cost us more than the car we got.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:20 AM
You get things fixed until its not worth it, like you have a car worth 1000 and u need a new transmission or engine. stay away from the shiny objects ladies.
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:24 AM
We had an 01 passat and it cost to much to fix it. Now we just have my suv and looking for new car for my husband. As long as it doesn't cost to much to fix we will fix it. With his car every time we turned around something else broke in it. We had to replace the engine when we first got the car because of the previous owners never changed the oil. We ended up getting build up in the engine. My husband did the timing belt and bent the head since the directions were wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxxAthena
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:29 AM

we usually try to trade them in every three years that way they keep the warranty and we don't really have to worry about making major repairs. As for now both our cars are 2002 BUT that's because they have been in storage for a bit and so really they are low on mileage and still in great shape. when we moved across country we just left them with his parents. we are trading them in soon for new cars in a few months.

ikesmommy200
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:34 AM
That was my thought, it's more expensive to buy a new car everytime something breaks on it.

Quoting RheaF:

DH does all of our car repairs. We cannot afford ot go get a new car everytime something goes wrong,lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy200
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:38 AM
Newer? What's that? I'd poop my pants if we had an '05. Our current cars are a '91 '86 and '93. But all have under 200,000 miles and one has under 100,000

Quoting morethanme_you:

We've done it more than a few times. Now, my van has a boo-boo and the check engine light is on -- the upside is that it's paid off so we're just gonna fix it all and keep it. It's a 2005 and I'd like to have something newer but this will do until we can afford the new van I really want!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)