Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your parents spank your kids?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:28 AM
  • 34 Replies
My parents told me and my sister if we choose to spank they didn't want to see or hear the spanking. Dad spanked us (my mom never did) when we were kids, but he feels differently about his grandchildren. Same with my FIL he spanked but doesn't even want to hear it now. I never remember my grandparents ever spanking either and from what my dad says his dad was downright abusive towards my dad and his brothers. But there's my MIL she has told us time and time again that she will spank our son if she feels we're not spanking when needed. I just find that somewhat odd I guess and I feel me and my husband decide when it's the right time to spank, not someone else. And dh and I came to a decision 3 weeks ago we were not going to spank anymore. It was not working and is not for us. The only thing it ever accomplished was getting mommy and daddy to feel guilty and baby to feel hurt.

So do your parents think it's ok to spank your kids or are they more like our dads?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WesAndNicksMom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM

my dad and step-mom won't AND my kids are horrible when they go over there because they know they can do whatever they want as soon as i leave.

my mom and SD and my MIL and FIL all spank the boys if they need it.  i think FIL did it once a few years ago and the kids were so shocked that i heard about it for months lol (FIL is usually the one telling them they can have as much dessert as they want or they can stay up late so it blew their minds when papaw had it one day!).  on the other hand, they would NEVER step in during the middle of me punishing one of the kids just because they didn't think i was doing it the right way (i'm more of a "go to your room" type).

ArmyGal
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Grandparents are such pushovers lol. My parents hate if I even time-out or give my DD a talking to. My niece's grandma will spank though. I don't have a problem with that. She's like my second mom so I trust her judgement.

xxxAthena
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:34 AM

my husband's parents didn't spank and my dad and step mom didn't spank but my mom and step dad...yeah they did. they think we should spank out son too but we wont. if i find out they are spanking our son then they aren't going to see him alone. i already told them that when they mentioned it last time.

myangelnevaeh
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:35 AM
my mom will, step dad wont. fil n mil will.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Proudnerd
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM

My kids are never with my in-laws without one of us around so they don't need to discipline. I doubt they would spank them though because she lets them do as they want anyway. My parents on the other had have two young children (5,2). So they disciple mine like they would the others. Although they are more lenient on mine but not by much. If they felt a spanking was needed they might give one but never if I was already disciplining the boys. My dad has told me before he thinks I let my kids walk on me but I feel like I choose to not fight the same battles they do. Especially when my husband leave with the Air Force.

I think your MIL just needs to back off. When you need help you will ask for it! 

k_hall1784
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:41 AM
My inlaws and my parents won't spank the kids. They don't like it. They have however given them a good pop on the rare occasion my kids have gotten completely out of control. My oldest has ADHD/ODD and got angry at my mom one day while she was driving (he was 5 at the time), he got out of his carseat and proceeded to hit her while she was driving. She almost crashed. That day, he did get his butt whooped and I wasn't even slightly upset. He had crossed a line that could have potentially been deadly. He never did it again after she tore his butt up. I must also add that she did sit him down and explain to him what he did and his consequences. The only thing that prevented the crash was that my older cousin was also in the front and was able to grab my son and hold him down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BusyB4thm
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:45 AM

my parents do not spank my child. his father and i barely spank him. his fathers mother doesnt spank him either. we try not to now we are taking away privlages. There is NO reason that someone other than the parents should be laying a hand on a child for disciplinary reasons. I'm sorry but i feel that your MIL is out of line here. it is not her place to say when they need to be spanked especially if you arednt and wont.

ikesmommy200
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM
See, when I'm not around it's different and I honestly don't trust MIL. Not that he's ever around her alone because he won't stay with her. It's odd, too, because he's the kind of kid that will go with anyone. He was in the playplace at McDonald's one day and I went to the bathroom and thought DH was watching him, I come back and some old lady is feeding my kid pancakes. But she's spanked for little crap and doesn't try other stuff first. She spanked him one time because her son kept throwing stuff at my son and my son had enough and threw something back. I went over to tell my son we don't throw things we find other ways of dealing with people being mean and MIL goes over and swats him. It pissed me off to no end. My son wasn't doing anything wrong really (but he shouldn't have thrown anything), but her kid had done it like 10 times and she didn't do a damn thing to him.

Quoting ArmyGal:

Grandparents are such pushovers lol. My parents hate if I even time-out or give my DD a talking to. My niece's grandma will spank though. I don't have a problem with that. She's like my second mom so I trust her judgement.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thenie255
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM

If my kids are at my mom's house without me and they need it I know they will be spanked or punished accordingly.  Our kids however don't need it often at all.  Usually a correction and "clean it up now" will correct the behavior.  My mil  would let my kids get away with murder.  She doesn't correct them at all.  Only one of my kids has stayed over night with her and she won't stay again unless she can start enforcing our rules.  The have never been left alone with fil or my dad.  They aren't kid people.

HeatherSumowski
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:01 AM
My inlaws will give DD a swat but that's probably bc their youngest is only 5 months older than my DD. My parents won't do it at all but they are very stern with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)