Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you superficial?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:30 PM
  • 28 Replies

Well are you?

Is your self esteem primarily based in your looks?

Would you judge someone based on their weight, clothing, hairstyle. etc?

Do you think stretch marks are a badge of honor, or something that should be hidden?

Are you driven by appearances, possessions, perfection?

I'm...I'm seeing a rather disturning trend. Some of us seem to not have grown out of the high school mode that looks equal quality....I see women posting about some of the most....shallow, superficial things....and that worries me for our society.... I honestly think it's time we stopped looking at the physical, and started seeking out the intangible.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ms.sophsmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM
:( true. Here though it may b hard to find the intangible treasures.

I try to look nice bt my lack of self esteem cn b anything on any given day ie:bad hair day, turned down for a job, depression issues...

I know ppl who are very forward abt the importance they place on physical attributes.. it makes me sad for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhiLLy-StyLe
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM
No I don't judge others for their looks, weight, hair, clothing, car... But I'm pretty hard on myself with that stuff. I always never feel pretty enough or thin enough, or if I do, the moment I see someone who looks better than me, or is smaller, or has nicer hair, I immmediately feel awful and want to just hide. I hate it and I envy so many people for not caring what others think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jasonsgirl7988
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM

well, i've always had low self esteem as far as looks go but personality wise i love myself... i am kind, nice funny and cariing... but i get up everyday, throw on jeans and a rock tshirt (pretty much all i own cuz i love my music) throw my hair up and call it good lol so i dont think i'm superficial...

PhiLLy-StyLe
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM
And to answer tour question a little better, I could careless whether you spent $10 or $200 on your jeans. Or if you the hot new trendy make up. Or if your shoes look okay with your outfit. I just want to surround myself with good and honest people. You don't have to have the nicest house or car, as long as your a good person it's what matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeeshMom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:42 PM
I don't think it's fair to say that we can be 100% unshallow. I have definitely changed my tune after getting preg and my sons dad leaving. It made me take a hard look at myself and the choices I make. But I am also human and work at improving my attitude toward strangers. I have body image issues like lots of women and I am so much more sensitive to others now. When I find myself being negative about me or other people's looks (clothes, hair) I kick my own butt because hey I'm human but I hold myself accountable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jasonsgirl7988
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Quoting PhiLLy-StyLe:

And to answer tour question a little better, I could careless whether you spent $10 or $200 on your jeans. Or if you the hot new trendy make up. Or if your shoes look okay with your outfit. I just want to surround myself with good and honest people. You don't have to have the nicest house or car, as long as your a good person it's what matters.

I agree with this, i'm a people person and you could be wearing a box for all i care as long as your cool and nice andfun to be aroudn...

TashaB82
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:48 PM

i have been around all types of people, races, and nationalities. people are soo judgemental and its really stupid because we are all the same...human beings. not my place to judge anyone!

xxxAthena
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM

everyone has a different definition of happiness and differentthings that make them that way. I think everyone would be better off if we didn't try to push our set of morals and happiness onto others. as long as they arent hurting anyone else then they should be left to live life with the views they want.

MeeshMom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:51 PM
Yes I'm living on a small income and don't have all the shoes and clothes I'd want but that doesn't matter. In fact many of my friends are on tight budgets. We improvise. Possessions don't define a person

Quoting jasonsgirl7988:

Quoting PhiLLy-StyLe:

I agree with this, i'm a people person and you could be wearing a box for all i care as long as your cool and nice andfun to be aroudn...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ThatDollNJ
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:52 PM
I think societys always been that way except media spreads it faster now than before. I hate to admit it but I am, sadly because of my up bringing. My mom was really critical of me growing up. Thats one thing I hope to change about raising my daughter. Its not a good thing to do or be (superficial) because no one is better than anyone else, period.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)