Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social networking and kids?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

What are your thoughts on social networking on sites like Facebook and Twitter for kids and teens? Personally I think no good can come out of it.  Kids are learning at such a young age to put their life out completely in the open for anyone to pry into with social networking.  Most of them lack the maturity and judgement needed to follow internet etiquitte.  Social networking has caused sooo many problems in my family.  For instance:

We found out my 11 year old niece had a secret facebook account.  She is rather overweight but put a picture of a thin teenage girl in a sexy outfit blowing bubbles as her picture and said she's 16 years old.  She uses it to talk to guys that she meets through facebook.   My mother in law found all these guys numbers in her cell phone, called them and all those guys think Natalie is that sexy thin 16 year old high schooler rather than an immature, overweight 5th grader.  What if she is actually dumb enough to meet up with one of these guys?  She could wind up kidnapped, raped or even murdered.  Who knows what kind of predators are lurking behind these profiles?

My 16 year old cousin uses Facebok to post slutty pictures of herself and pictures of her and her friends getting drunk and high.  She also uses it to bully other girls constantly and say such trashy things!  Things for her on facebook have led her to have soooo many chick fights at school that her mom had to pull her out and homeschool her or else she'd be expelled.

And another cousin uses it to cause drama among the family.  She posts all her problems she has with various family members (who are also on facebook) as her status for hte world to see rather than discussing it with them personally.  

One final  cousin of mine took a small innocent joke I said in response to her status update the wrong way and stopped speaking to me for 3 months and said some extremely hurtful things to me that I will never get over.  Her friends that said worse than I didn't get chewed out and she's closer than ever to them.

Your thoughts and opinions?  

Jeremiah Luis (12/2/07)   Evelynne Arlene (2/16/10)

Married to my best friend since 7/22/06

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BethRae
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM
Its dangerous! I think parents should monitor their children online and have the computer password protected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyErin06
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Not to mention not let their kids have a cell phone, and if they do have one have it be the most basic phone out there with NO internet options!

Quoting BethRae:

Its dangerous! I think parents should monitor their children online and have the computer password protected.

lenoxclan
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I agree with both of you:0)

Quoting MommyErin06:

Not to mention not let their kids have a cell phone, and if they do have one have it be the most basic phone out there with NO internet options!

Quoting BethRae:

Lusty Lenox

save the date

My3LuVs83
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:52 PM
wow! At 11 I didnt even think about guys in that way! Not even at 13!.. I dont use FB neither does my 8 year old and i wouldnt let him if he asked.. When hes like 16 then maybe yeah.. But i will look at it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyErin06
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I know huh.  I feel bad for my niece because her mom is a horrible mother (i'm sorry but it's true) and has not been a role model to her at ALL and she's picked up on this from watching her all these years.  Plus her mom and grandma (not my MIL) don't supervise her phone and internet use at ALL.  

Quoting My3LuVs83:

wow! At 11 I didnt even think about guys in that way! Not even at 13!.. I dont use FB neither does my 8 year old and i wouldnt let him if he asked.. When hes like 16 then maybe yeah.. But i will look at it.

cowboysgirl2810
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:05 PM
I think the parents need to lock the comp until they can explain the risks. And under a certain age, monitor the internet usage.

These days its difficult to tell a kid "no you can't use the computer" because teachers are starting, in lower and lower grades, to use research papers, wanting typed assignm.ents, electronic assignment submissions, etc... so kids need the comp. But parents need to invest in internet filters!!!!!

At least pay attention!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)