Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh my what a morning! Do you think it is the alternator or carburator/fuel line?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM
  • 11 Replies

I had to go up to the local children's hospital to get Liam's Lasix filled this morning. I get into my car only to find it was completely dead (I don't know why, nothing was left on, no doors were open...).  We charged it and it cranked..and then after about one minute, it died again. so, we tried charging it again. and let it charge for about ten minutes. it wouldn't crank at all the next time we tried.

well, I call My MIL to ask if she can come get us to take us to the hospital. She has a busy day, but agrees and come over. I didn't realize that my FIL was out of town, but when she got here, she was driving her car, not his. he has a suburban that seats seven, her car seats five. so, we had to find someone to watch one of my children while we go. Luckily, my stepdaughter's mom told us to take my oldest to her house, where my  stepdaughter is being babysat by her cousin. Julie gets dropped off, then we hightail it to the hospital (that is about thirty minutes away)  and have to sit for about two hours waiting for Liam's perscriptions. after we get the meds, we hightail it back home.

so, do youthink that it is my alternator or something else? The battery is brand new. it was purchased in the middle of april. Also, for whatever reason, the guage that monitors my batter is showing that my battery power drops. I thought that the guage was faulty, but now I am not so sure.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenoxclan
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Yeah, I'd think it was the alternator if your battery is new. OR (if the rest of you car, like radio, is getting power)it could be your starter

My3LuVs83
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM
dont know didley squat about cars.. All i know is they run on gasoline
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM
Sounds more than likely like the alternator
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaheather87
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM
Sounds a lot like your alternator...if it was your starter I don't believe it would die after a few minutes of running.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meg986
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I would say alternator. If it wont crank over at all without a charger that is my best guess. however if cranking it over is what kills it then i would guess your fuel supply or your spark plugs.

Aurorasmom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM
Id take your battery to get tested. it sounds like its not holding the charge, which it should have done if you charged it directly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:50 PM
Alternator...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy200
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:55 PM
Yes sounds highly likely, or starter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Laceymom08
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Quoting lilmama8408:

Alternator...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nickynova
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:03 PM
First check your battery lines they may have just shock lose lol if it isn't that then yes the alternator
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)