Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

did your new guy accept your kids?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM
  • 33 Replies

im not actively looking for mr. right but i know someday i will want to be with someone again. i deff need to work on myself first. but my question is...how do you start dating without scaring them off based on the fact that you have kids? did you wait to bring it up or tell them from the get go? im worried if guys know i have kids they will hit the ground running and i have 3 kiddos.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelbabies11
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:44 PM
I told my now DH from the get go. I wanted him to know before we got too serious b/c if he didn't accepct my kids, then he wasn't going to have me. I didn't want to fall in love w/a man who later finds out that I have kids and doesn't accept them...kwim? It would have been a waste of both our times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samuelsmom936
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I haven't dated anyone yet since i broke up with my sons father. When i do i plan on telling them right away . I think it's better to be upfront so neither of you waste your time

TempestRayne
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:57 PM

This exactly.

Quoting samuelsmom936:

I haven't dated anyone yet since i broke up with my sons father. When i do i plan on telling them right away . I think it's better to be upfront so neither of you waste your time

OP, you can always hit up some single dads. They are less likely to be judgemental about you having kids.

roxychic5432007
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:00 AM

about single dads. i dated a single dad about 2 mons ago. im not so sure if id do it again. but these were the circumstances, his son did not live with him just visited on weekends. this guy lived 30 mins away from me and worked long hours most days of the week. the only time i could see him was friday night after he had is son for a few hrs then dropped him at the moms. then we could get dinner and chill at his house for like an hr and hed go work at the bar. id sleep over and hed make me leave early so he could go to the moms and pick the kid up again. it sucked. he was jealous that he didnt have his kid more which is understandable but i dont understand how he thoguht wed work out with his crazy schedule. needless to say it was primarly about sex between him and i which left no grounds for a healthy relationship so i called it quits

Charli627
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:06 AM
We told each other up front but we were only friends cause I was still with my ex. When my ex and I broke up, I was already three mths pregnant with my second and Dh was my friend, shoulder to cry on the whole time so he knew way before getting together I had two kids and I knew he had four. We were friends for three years. Now that we are together he accepts my kids as his and I do the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowboysgirl2810
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:07 AM
Exactly! I told him from the get go. When we met "officially" (not just me drooling over his smile at a bon fire I was at) I was actually on the phone with babys father trying to figure out when I was going to be able to pick her up the next day. He clicked with her SOOOOO quickly, it kinda just sealed the deal! =)

Quoting angelbabies11:

I told my now DH from the get go. I wanted him to know before we got too serious b/c if he didn't accepct my kids, then he wasn't going to have me. I didn't want to fall in love w/a man who later finds out that I have kids and doesn't accept them...kwim? It would have been a waste of both our times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anarmyslove
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM

With my DH i told him right up front about my 2 kids and i flat out told him if he couldn't handle me having kids then he needed to walk away now. My kids took right to him when they met him and he loved being around my kids. He wanted kids so bad but was told from a young age that he would never have kids so i think that helped a lot and then surprise surprise 6 months later we got pregnant with our youngest, he has adopted our older 2 and 3 years later we are expecting possible twins.

roxychic5432007
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Quoting anarmyslove:

With my DH i told him right up front about my 2 kids and i flat out told him if he couldn't handle me having kids then he needed to walk away now. My kids took right to him when they met him and he loved being around my kids. He wanted kids so bad but was told from a young age that he would never have kids so i think that helped a lot and then surprise surprise 6 months later we got pregnant with our youngest, he has adopted our older 2 and 3 years later we are expecting possible twins.

aww thats so great. i just dont know how much to let them know about. i dont want to drag out the baggage (i dont mean the kids but my drawn out complicated past).

kyuteangl88
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:13 AM

he already knew i had kids and he was fine with it...if you meet a guy though, go for one with no kids of his own

StephanieBowers
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM

if they hit the ground running at the fact that you have three kids than they arent worth your time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)