Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Veiled birth?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM
  • 21 Replies
Apparently i was born with a veil over my face. I tried googling it, but a bunch of bs came up. Does anyone know what it is/means? How common is it? Genetic?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleytn428
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM
kittykat846
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

No idea, sorry.

ashleytn428
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

http://www.crystalinks.com/caulveil.html...? i hope this is helping

ashleytn428
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:38 PM

A caul or veil (Latin: Caput galeatum) is a thin, filmy membrane, the remnants of the amniotic sac, that covers or partly covers the newborn mammal immediately after birth. It is also the membrane enclosing the paunch of mammals, particularly as in pork and mutton butchery.

In childbirth it is seen as a shimmery coating of the head and face. The caul is harmless and it is easily removed by the doctor, midwife, or person(s) performing the childbirth. The appearance of a caul over a newborn baby's head is occasional; not all children have one, though they are not especially rare. A child born in this way is known as a caulbearer.

In medieval times the appearance of a caul on a newborn baby was seen as a sign of good luck. It was considered an omen that the child was destined for greatness. Gathering the caul onto paper was considered an important tradition of childbirth: the midwife would rub a sheet of paper across the baby's head and face, pressing the material of the caul onto the paper. The caul would then be presented to the mother, to be kept as an heirloom.

Over the course of European history, a popular legend developed suggesting that possession of a baby's caul would give its bearer good luck and protect that person from death by drowning. Cauls were therefore highly prized by sailors. Medieval women often sold their cauls to sailors for large sums of money; a caul was regarded as a valuable talisman. In butchery the caul is used as 'offal.'

Alexander the Great was allegedly born with a caul and he certainly had an interesting and powerful life, though short lived.

momma21qtpi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caul

If you look at the external links at the bottom, it verifies that a veiled birth is also called Caul.

mommyjenn84

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caul

child "born with the caul" has a portion of the amniotic sac or membrane remaining on the head. There are two types of cauls. The most common caul is adhered to the head and face, and looped around the ears of the infant. The rarer type drapes over the head and partly down the torso of the child. In Germany, this would be called a "helmet" [Galea] for boys, and in Italy, for girls, a "fillet" [vitta] or "shirt" [indusium, camisia].[2]

The caul is harmless and is easily removed by the doctor or midwife. If done correctly, the attending practitioner will place a small incision in the membrane across the nostrils so that the child can breathe. The loops are then carefully un-looped from behind the ears. Then, the remainder of the caul can be either peeled back very carefully from the skin, or gently rubbed with a sheet of paper, which is then peeled away. If removed too quickly, the caul can leave wounds on the infant's flesh, which may leave permanent scars.

The caul membrane in most cases will be preserved and given to the mother. However, the parents may or may not be told that their child was born with the caul. This depends upon the particular practice of the hospital.

The "en-caul" birth, not to be confused with the "caul" birth, occurs when the infant is born inside of the entire amniotic sac. The sac balloons out at birth, with the child remaining inside of the unbroken or partially broken membrane.

Birth with a caul is rare, occurring in fewer than 1 in 80,000 births. This statistic includes "en-caul" births, which occur more frequently than authentic caul births; therefore authentic caul births are rarer than the statistic indicates.[3] Most "en-caul" births are premature.

[edit] History and tradition

According to Aelius Lampridius, the boy-emperor Diadumenian (208–218) was so named because he was born with a diadem formed by a rolled caul.[4]

Many caul bearers claim to possess clairvoyance or other preternatural abilities.

In medieval times the appearance of a caul on a newborn baby was seen as a sign of good luck.[5] It was considered an omen that the child was destined for greatness. Gathering the caul onto paper was considered an important tradition of childbirth: the midwife would rub a sheet of paper across the baby's head and face, pressing the material of the caul onto the paper. The caul would then be presented to the mother, to be kept as an heirloom. Some Early Modern European traditions linked caul birth to the ability to defend fertility and the harvest against the forces of evil, particularly witches and sorcerers.[6]

A legend developed suggesting that possession of a baby's caul would give its bearer good luck and protect that person from death by drowning. Cauls were therefore highly prized by sailors. Medieval women often sold these cauls to sailors for large sums of money; a caul was regarded as a valuable talisman.[7]

[edit] In literature

Charles Dickens, David Copperfield, published London 1850:

I was born with a caul, which was advertised for sale, in the newspapers, at the low price of fifteen guineas. Whether sea-going people were short of money about that time, or were short of faith and preferred cork jackets, I don't know; all I know is, that there was but one solitary bidding, and that was from an attorney connected with the bill-broking business, who offered two pounds in cash, and the balance in sherry, but declined to be guaranteed from drowning on any higher bargain. Consequently the advertisement was withdrawn at a dead loss ... and ten years afterwards, the caul was put up in a raffle down in our part of the country, to fifty members at half-a-crown a head, the winner to spend five shillings. I was present myself, and I remember to have felt quite uncomfortable and confused, at a part of myself being disposed of in that way. The caul was won, I recollect, by an old lady with a hand-basket.... It is a fact which will be long remembered as remarkable down there, that she was never drowned, but died triumphantly in bed, at ninety-two.

In Betty Smith's novel A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Francie Nolan is born with a caul. The midwife who officiated the birth stole the caul and later sold it for $2 to a sailor from the Brooklyn Navy Yard. It was believed that whoever wore a caul could not drown.

A prophesy given to an infant born with the caul is the basis of the Grimm fairy tale The Devil With the Three Golden Hairs.

In the film Oscar and Lucinda, Oscar's father gives him the caul that was upon his head at birth. Oscar has a phobia of the ocean and of water in general, linked to the death of his mother when he was a child. He carries this caul with him until he dies, ironically, by drowning.

In the play Gypsy: A Musical Fable, Mama Rose tells Louise (Gypsy Rose Lee): "You were born with a caul. That means you got powers to read palms and tell fortunes - and wonderful things are gonna happen to you."

Toni Morrison's "Song of Solomon" stages a scene where observers describe Milkman as "mysterious" and "deep", while asking along if he was born with a caul.

Another myth associated with a caul is featured in the short story "The Scarlet Ibis". When the main character's brother, Doodle, is born in a caul his aunt states that cauls are made of Jesus' nightgown and everyone must respect Doodle as he may become a saint someday.

In Stephen King's "The Shining" the 5 year old son of the main character, Danny "Doc" Torrance, is born with a caul that made him appear as if he had "no face" at the time of his birth. Although his mother and father do not believe that Danny has "second sight," Danny does have precognitive abilities throughout the story

steffielou_who
by Stefanie on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

My DS was born with a veil over his head... He was on oxygen for 24 hours before I got to hold him but he has been nothing but healthy ever since.. They say that the veil is an indication that your child will be special and see or sense spirits of some sort.. Have some sort of psychic power, if you believe that!

SweetPea2004
by Natalia on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM

http://www.claudettejones.com/id31.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beyondmedia/4379642070/

MrsLLove
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:40 PM

All I know is medically it's when a child is born with part of the amniotic sack still covering the face. It's completely harmless and easily removed by the attending DR.

Supposedly it means you are going to be a gifted physic or that you are destined for greatness. Also, I guess sailors considered the veil good luck so they would buy them from women who had given birth. It was suppose to protect them from drowning.

That's all I know or have read about it.

ElleDiem
by on Jun. 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

That's awesome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)