Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I feel like a bad mom

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:09 PM
  • 43 Replies
This happened on friday I have been kicking myself all weekend. Me and my husband only have one car, he took out a loan so we could get another one. We needed to go look at one after he got off work, so he came and picked up me and our son at lunch so I would have the car. That way I could get ready and we could go straight there. So I drove back from dropping my dh off at work and parked, I got out and locked my door (we have and older car that you can push the locks up) then opened the door behind the driver side and got the daiper bag ready and I put the car key in the side pocket of the daiper bag. Then locked that door leaving the daiper next to Trentin's carseat, walked to the otherside where Trent was (we can't put him in the middle because the driver side seat won't go forward) I assumed his door was unlocked because my dh went and opened his door when I dropped him off at work to say goodbye, but some how the door was locked. Basically I locked my son in the car, I had a nervous break down crying and freaking out. Luckily I called my mother and she paid for a locksmith the guy was there in less then 10 mins. I felt so bad I locked my son in the car, I couldn't stop crying for an hour. Anyone else have this happen? Someone please tell me I am not a bad mom.
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetmoonflower
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:12 PM
ok, When our daughter was barly even two weeks old, we needed to go to the store. We put her behind him, so that he could get her as I didn't want to carry a carseat after my c-section. We got out, I'm walking around to the front of the truck to wait for him, and he starts heading for the door. I said what about the baby??? He totally forgot she was even there!!!!!!!!!!
twhite1983
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:13 PM
Your not a bad mom. It was an accident. I never done it but it could happen to anyone. Your baby is adorable.
CelissaTX
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:16 PM
You are not a bad mom! We all make mistakes... besides the one I made was way worse than yours... It was August and I was going to the bank b4 going to my grandfathers funeral, I had my son Dominic with me, he was about 8 months old at the time. Anyways, I had so much going through my head that I pulled up to the bank, went inside, stood in line for about 3 minutes and realized that I forgot my baby in the car. If you are not familiar with Texas weather... August is the hottest month of the year and it was over 100 degrees outside... I freaked out and was shaking the rest of the day.
Amylou23
Don't feel bad. Every mother has had some sort of crisis like yours. My mom took my son with her to pick my sister up from school. And while they were waiting for my sister to come out she let my son come sit up in the front seat with her. Well, her friend came over and started talking to her and I don't know how this all happened but somehow my mom ended up outside the car with the door still open but my son managed to close it! The car was still on! And he was in the front seat! So my mom freaked out! She tried to tell my  son to open the door or window but he wouldn't. So she had to call a cop over to help out. The whole front of the school saw the commotion and my sister was embarrased. But everything turned out fine! And he locked himself in the bathroom once and I panicked so bad I almost knocked the door down! :) So..this turned out longer than I wanted. But the point is don't worry. Your child will never even remember any of it when he's older and it happens to the best of us!
stargazer5585
I am so scared I'm going to do this too, but don't worry, as long as it's not too hot and not for too long it's not such a big deal.  I'm sure he was perfectly fine, you're more traumatized than he is!  I'm really bad about throwing the keys on the floorboards or in the passenger seat while I get the diaper bag or other stuff out before I get my DD and I'm so scared I'll do the same thing! 
lovebugg4me
You are NOT a bad mother!!  Accidents happen!!  I can't say that that has happened to me {yet}, but it happens to a lot of ppl.  If you had been a bad mother, you wouldn't have freaked out the way you did, and you would've just left him there!  Don't beat yourself up over this! 
BlueyedsrfrMom
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:19 PM
Well, I can't say that I 've ever done that, but I have forgotten to put his seatbelt on. Usually my husband takes him and puts him in the seat because I have a hard time with my back. One time, I had him and put him in the seat, expecting my husband (who was on the other side of the car) to buckle him in like usual. I didn't even think about it, but we both took off to go home, some 30 miles away. We got home and my husband was like, "Uh, honey? Why isn't baby's seatbelt on?" I felt so aweful!!! Especially since we were in a major accident while I was driving at 5 months pregnant. Truth be told, we're not bad moms. We are human and any mom will tell you that you lose braincells while pregnant which makes you more forgetful that normal. Don't worry, you're baby won't remember it either.
MamaCass07
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:22 PM
Oh, hunny. I think this happens to everyone at least once. I thought I had once and my mouth went dry and I swear my heart stopped beating for an entire minute...I would have FREAKED too! You did just fine!
aimsterella
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:25 PM
my mom locked me in the car when i was 1. i didnt hold a grudge.

a few days ago i was out with two friends and their babies... we were all showing off the babies and handing them around, so i didnt have him strapped into his carseat (it was snapped into the stroller) well, we said our goodbyes and i put the carseat in the car, thinking he was strapped in and i started to drive home. after a few minutes he started crying, and i reached my hand back to make sure there was nothing hurting him (his hand stuck in one of his ring toys maybe...) and i found that he had decided to learn how to roll over in the past five minutes.... so he was on his belly in his seat. i immediately pulled over and strapped him in properly but ive been feeling horrible for days. i finally admitted it to my fiance, but he said everyone makes a mistake once in a while. i was so relieved that he wasnt mad at me.
SheDevilShay
by on Apr. 23, 2007 at 3:25 PM
I fell down my basement stairs with my 3 month old in my arm. (they are wood and cement at the bottom.. and about 25 steps and I literally fell/slid down half of them.)  So, I think i'd rather accidently lock my son in the car then fall down the stairs with him in my arm... (luckily I had tumbling experience from riding horses, and landed on my ass/backside, instead of on our heads... he slept through the whole thing, but I cried for 2-3 hours, and refused to carry him up or down the stairs *My grandmother's room was in the basement* for about 3 weeks after that.)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)