Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this statement really saying that I am NEEDY?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM
  • 36 Replies

Well I was having a conversation with my sister today. Without going into details about the convo, I told her that "I can't marry someone who's job is to stay away from home for months at a time!" Now, this is just me, but I don't believe that I can successfully maintain a happy marriage and family without my husband being there most of the time...not disrespect to those who have to deal with this sort of thing. She ups and calls me needy because she is like I should have other things going on in my life while my hubby is away. Well, why does that make me needy. I figure she don't get it cause she has been single for years. I don't know, but it bothered me. What do you think?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GirlWSlingshot
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:09 AM

It might make you needy, but it mostly makes you a realist. Some women can't handle time/distance separation. It's not even that it's a character flaw, it's just who they are.

alibrezzy154
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:11 AM
Don't knock it till you tried it dh being gone for a week or more at a time for work gave our marrige a kind of spice. Lol. Distance makes the heart grow fonder. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samuelsmom936
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I dont think it's needy, i could never do it either

Needlesmama
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:12 AM

it doesn't make you needy, you were being honest, but sometimes what we think we want or need and what we end up finding can be 2 different things and we can handle more than we thought at first so don't rule it out if that is what a man needs to do for work...could be prince charming in disguise

prettygirl326
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:13 AM

true, but I am speaking of military, sports players, and careers like that....it has to be a really lonely life to lead after a while.

Quoting alibrezzy154:

Don't knock it till you tried it dh being gone for a week or more at a time for work gave our marrige a kind of spice. Lol. Distance makes the heart grow fonder. :)

KittyNat
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:15 AM

my dad had a job like that and he made good money, but we needed him at home. i dare say my life would have been very different and much less confusing if my daddy had been there for me. i understand why he made the choice to provide for our family, but there is nothing in a girl's life that can replace her dad being around. to me, it's almost like being a single mom. it is certainly more virtuous for a man to be off working than off doing something else, but his time at home is something the money he earns can't buy or replace once the kids are grown.

prettygirl326
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:15 AM

well, I get that lol...i am married though. my husband is at work 12 hours 4 nights a week and asleep during the day and that alone can be a strain on us sometimes. but i mean, men who stay gone for months at a time on the road for almost an entire year off and on....that is too much! it would be like i never even got married!

Quoting Needlesmama:

it doesn't make you needy, you were being honest, but sometimes what we think we want or need and what we end up finding can be 2 different things and we can handle more than we thought at first so don't rule it out if that is what a man needs to do for work...could be prince charming in disguise

prettygirl326
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Thank you...my point exactly. money can't replace time and precious moments with hubby and daddy. i have a little girl and i wouldn't want daddy to be gone that much...it is just my view of the world. too much of that is happening right now, so much so that people think that it's normal. well, to me, it is not a good thing.

Quoting KittyNat:

my dad had a job like that and he made good money, but we needed him at home. i dare say my life would have been very different and much less confusing if my daddy had been there for me. i understand why he made the choice to provide for our family, but there is nothing in a girl's life that can replace her dad being around. to me, it's almost like being a single mom. it is certainly more virtuous for a man to be off working than off doing something else, but his time at home is something the money he earns can't buy or replace once the kids are grown.

Denecia
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:18 AM
My husband is gone for about 6 months every other year. It isn't as hard as people think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettygirl326
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:22 AM

really? how do you deal? i guess you can get used to it, but there are hard times i am sure.

Quoting Denecia:

My husband is gone for about 6 months every other year. It isn't as hard as people think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)