Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your parents discipline your child(ren) YOUR way or THEIR way?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

My DD is 18mo and definitely testing her boundaries. I do not believe in spanking my child but I attempted the hand smacking thing for a couple weeks. Harmless, right? Wrong. Now she's hitting when she's mad about something. I told my mom we aren't doing that anymore and why and her response was 'I can't promise you I won't do that if she's in my home' I said 'you better not smack my child!' Not my proudest moment cause my tone wasn't appropriate but her statement didn't bode well with me.

Now we don't leave our DD over there often but this is one reason why. I'm not respected as a parent and I don't want to be undermined. They think I baby her and if I 'don't show her whos boss now' I'll pay dearly for the rest of her childhood. WTF?!

What are your thoughts?

Do your parents stick to your beliefs or is it their house, their law?

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prinzesstephi
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM
My mom doesn't keep my kids without me because she's disabled, but if anything she's more lenient than I am. Same with (soon to be) mother in law.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MegMon1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Well if my mom ever did punish my kids which I don't think she does often, they get away with a lot at grandmas. She always goes by my rules when we are together though

CharmedP
by Piper on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM
Anyone who watches my kids will parent them MY way, or they won't get my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxLukesMamaxx
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM
My parents know they ate not aloud to lay a finger on my child and so do my in laws, they respect my wishes because they don't want to risk me not letting them hang around my kids. I don't think they would spank my kids even if I didn't have that rule though. I would just make it clear to your mom she won't be allowed around your kids if she won't respect your wishes. I bet that will change her tune...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissLoveLyfe
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Our parents don't discipline our kids at all.. outside of saying "no" or "stop" they leave the parenting to us.

MamaPeanut
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM
My way!
No hitting, ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_hoy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:27 PM

My mom and dad were great with my son, he always behaved for them and he loved being with them. Now my mil he hates to go over there because his uncles take his toys from him and then he gets in trouble for throwing a fit. She either tries to spank him or takes his toys away. Either way she knows I do not agree with it. Especially when I am there. We very rarely ask her to baby sit because she drinks alot and smokes in her home. Now in my home she knows its what I say goes. She has no say and i think she has figured out that when we are at the pool or other places she needs to back off because it pisses me off and i end up leaving with my son or ignoring her.

Robin_TripleA
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM

They don't dicipline my kids. It would be a cold day in hell if they did. 

Then again, they are NEVER there when we are not there. 

LilRed2130
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:15 PM

My mom spoils my son to death being as all we have are girls in our family and he is the FIRST boy sooo i have to say not always.

She lets him get away with small things but mostly she sticks with my rules for raising my child probably b/c i'm alot like her : )

And i smack my sons bottom VERY VERY rarely i'm talking maybe 4 times in the last year.....i try different approaches first and my mom follows my lead

ikesmommy200
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM
It's generally their way, but they're very lenient and never spank. DH's dad is that way too. His mom is a whole other story. DS doesn't even get left there alone but she's hit him with a fly swatter and spanked many times. We stopped spanking. She's very tough towards him and usually it's for something her son did to him. Anyway he doesn't stay alone because he's afraid of her and because she had 2 tries a year apart and failed both times. Once he came home with a blistering diaper rash because she didn't change him and once she had him he came home with a big goose egg and gash on his forehead and she couldn't tell me how it happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)