Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working moms get me time? That's news to me

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM
  • 15 Replies
Ok SOME but by no means all sahm's (most of which I know irl and this post was sparked by facebook drama between two friends) think that working moms get so much me time, no I get more of that when I'm off because at least I'm around when ds naps. Of course most sahm's use this time to cook, clean, ect. I know it's a tough job, when I worked at the school I got the best of both worlds. But back to the main point, I'm not sure when I get me time. Maybe it's the 3 min I drive to the office and the 3 min I drive back to the sitter. Maybe it's my lunch break, oh wait, that's right I give that up daily to get off earlier to be with my son, I eat while billing at my desk. Most of the day I spend with mentally unstable children. How is that me time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hempmommy87
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:24 PM

I never thought that. Me time for any mom is hard to come by, I would think. What bugs me is when people say, "there is no me time when you become a mom."

GirlWSlingshot
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I've been on both sides of that fence and I personally had a lot more "me" time when I was a working mom. My coffee breaks, even if it was just the time it took me to get the creamer amount right; bathroom trips without someone pounding on the door if I take longer than 10 seconds to tinkle; etc. That was just my personal experience though, and I happen to have a very bright but needy child. As I type this he is fighting to get on my lap as he watches kitten bloopers on Youtube (I set up dual browser windows so I can go on CM briefly.)

Joppamomofsix
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM

While you're absolutely right....working is not really "me" time...I really liked having a job better than staying at home.  Just because it at least got me out of the house.  I don't have any friends, so working was the only way I got any time around anyone besides my kids. (who I love dearly, but sometimes I need a break, and that's what working was for me). 

Now that I'm not working, though, I am way more stressed because I just don't have anyone to talk to, ever. 

Not trying to babble incoherently or anything. lol.  Maybe they just worded it wrong when they said "me" time in reference to work?  Maybe they meant more that working mom's get more time out of the house without the kids? Therefore getting more of a break?

ellenc170
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM

i never say working moms get me time but im super jealous about the ones who get adult conversation

hempmommy87
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I'm sure it depends on what kind of work you're in as well. 

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM
I totally see your point. I'm a sahm now but was a working mom for the first year. But I was a nanny and dd came with. I think what sahm's like myself are lacking is adult conversation. I know for me when I get my hair done I couldn't care less what she does with it, i'm just happy to talk to another woman! For hours! Ahhhh! Lol. That alone is me time for me :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JleeG
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:41 PM

You mean the time it takes me to drive from the daycare to work and back to pick him up? Oh and let's mention when he cries the entire way home and then is cranky all the way  till he goes to bed so I'm constantly holding him and trying to calm him down. YAY!

ikesmommy200
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM
That's my thought too. All moms have trouble finding time for themselves.

The thing that started this was two girls I went to school with who now live together. The one owns her home and the other and her boyfriend are unemloyed she stays in the other girls house in exchange for free babysitting services. Well apparently the one staying home thinks the other gets tons of me time while she's watching the kid because she gets to drive to and from work and gets lunch. Anyway she was blasted for it especially since she lives free in the other woman's house and then blasts her on facebook but I found it a little insulting the way she said as well, just directed to all working moms.

Quoting hempmommy87:

I never thought that. Me time for any mom is hard to come by, I would think. What bugs me is when people say, "there is no me time when you become a mom."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissLoveLyfe
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I so miss working.. I'm looking to get back to work (part time) and going to school soon.. That will make me one happy lady.. Coffee and cigarette breaks are the best at work..lol I love my babygirl but when she goes to school in September I will have the opportunity to do the things I want.

ikesmommy200
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM
That's what I always missed, too. At least I get to talk to parents, the front desk ladies, the sitter, and occasionally my co workers. It is nice

Quoting ellenc170:

i never say working moms get me time but im super jealous about the ones who get adult conversation

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)