Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pacifiers.

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM
  • 18 Replies

Do agree with the video? What are your thoughts? If it starts getting nasty I am not afraid to delete. So keep it civil.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweettigeress
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I didn't watch the video because I don't want to plug in my ear buds. lol! But I say to each their own with the pacifier. My girls wouldn't take one. 

CheyennesMommy2
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:12 PM
I didnt play it cause I dont want to wake up the baby, can you explain what the video said?

Quoting sweettigeress:

I didn't watch the video because I don't want to plug in my ear buds. lol! But I say to each their own with the pacifier. My girls wouldn't take one. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexasWife
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:18 PM

9 out of 10 children suck a pacifier, finger, or thumb. People worry that it will ruin their childrens teeth. Dr. Hale says that when they stop that their teeth will ususally fix themselves. It is better to have a happy healthy child. they go on to tell you how to pick a pacifier and that one nipple doesn't cause less problems than others. That it is ok at two if they are still doing it at 4 1/2 is when most drs start worrying. Dr hale also says that they use them when they are bored,stressed,or for comfort. sorry I am one handed typing.

ellenc170
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I don't want to be taken the wrong way so im just keeping it short. I threw all my dd's paci's away when she was 11 months(out of sight out of mind).

And no i don't agree with the video

ellenc170
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init/4018

this is on the same lines except with the age...your video says not past 4 1/2 they say 4

rainstarjen
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:50 PM

My daughter had no problem when I took hers away a little after she turned one. After one night she didn't even notice they were gone. With my son though, who is now 17 months, he still needs it. We tried taking them away but he would scream and scream and scream. He only uses it at nap and bedtime. I do believe that the sucking soothes him to sleep.  I tell him everyday that he's becoming a big boy and "pashu's" are for babies, but he's still too young to really understand I think. I like how the lady said when her son gets the big boy bed she'll take it away. That's what I was thinking as well, but hoping he drops it before then. =)

Penguin311
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I didn't watch the video (too lazy to get my earphones, and don't want to wake the baby) BUT I think to each her own.  In the begining I was only going to give it to him for 'special occasions', that went out he window about day two of using it...lol. He WON"T got to sleep without it now (only 4 months old) and I"m not sure when he'll lose his dependence on it - but its a livesaver.  I'd rather have a happy baby sucking on a pacifier than a screaming one.  

Note - I may be biased on this issue because I myself had a pacifier until i was 7, yes 7.  I was not still sucking on it though, when I was little I always had 2, one i would suck on, and one that had the end cut off that i woudl rub on my nose.  This is the one I had till I was 7 - i LOVED the smell of rubber :)  

Oh and I still (at 25 years old) sleep with my Teddy bear - so maybe i just have issues giving things up.....

Lvmyblessings
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I would1 say Pacifiers....  My middle child really took to it and had hers until about 2 1/2 - 3....  It was so nice having it when my other two children didn't makes life easy!!!    I am anti-thumb sucking.....  I won't say it was a piece of cake to get the Boppy (Paci) from her but how much easier is it to take a childs thumb away???   So thats why I chose a Boppy.....  Oh and I actually know someone now that has a son that is still sucking his thumb at 4yrs and he'll start school next year.....  Pacifier all the way!!!

Arya91Fire
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 1:20 AM
I'm ebf, so I don't agree with pacifiers at all. That's all I'm saying
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yostastic
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 1:33 AM

my 4 year old never really got into pacifiers, but my 2 year old did. we've limited it to times when he is sick or is in bed.  We noticed that it really got in the way of his speech development, and although he's fine now, it took him a while to catch on to it until we took the binky (pacifier) away during the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)