Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

meet Joel...

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

Ok, ladies... i'm not advertising or selling anything.  I simply would love if you would read a friend's story and let it speak to you and change you forever... and then show your love and support for him if his story touched you in any way!  

"At 7 am on that Saturday morning, December 12, Joel was found 40 feet ejected from the car. He suffered from internal decapitation (His atlas had shattered into his brain stem. This caused an immense amount of nerve damage.). At the scene Joel was nearly pronounced dead. But someone had an inkling. They revived Joel. God gave Joel a second chance. Joel was given a 3% chance to make it through the first night. And that was nearly 2 years ago! And guess what?! Joel is still here! Despite every bad doctors report, God offered a miracle. Joel's Dad never let go, he fought til this point and still does. His sister is just as determined. They fought day after day. Even amongst all this adversity, his sister still graduated from college and is so supportive and is Joel's rock! His Step Mom, or Mom as people know her quit her job to stay home with him, to be his nurse. His Dad has done everything in his power to give Joel the best life he can.

Being at the hospital, I've seen how some do not see hope in Joel. Joel's jaw was broken and he is unable to speak. However, that does not stop Joel from talking! His Step Mom developed a language to help him communicate. He uses his eyes to communicate. Long before Joel got a computer and could use facebook to access the world, Joel and I were having full on, in-depth conversations about good ole days, about the times our friendship was silent, and about life and God. His eyes are his world. And just looking in them, one glance, and they become your world!!!

Joel is now at home. With the assistance of his family they've been able to offer him the best care possible with one income that Joel's Dad provides. His uncles came up from Florida to add an extra room onto the house, large enough to accompany his hospital bed. Joel has had several operations and he can move his head controlling a wheel chair that he uses every chance he gets. Joel cannot walk, yet (that is knowing that he has the power and determination to one day get there!)! He has not been offered the proper rehabilitation to help him get there, as we know he can because he believes! We often joke about him beating me in our favorite game, an intense game of basketball! Don't be fooled, I may be a girl, but Joel never lets up! Joel still has a feed tube, but that doesn't stop him from eating my famous banana pudding! His jaw, being broken in two places has yet to be back in order and leaves him without a voice. But, like I said, that doesn't stop him from talking, that he can do, he will talk your ears off with his DynaVox and his eyes. This is a computer that reads his eyes. This is how he connects with all of his facebook friends near and far! Joel is remarkable!

Joel uses every opportunity he can to brighten someones day! He often gets called "Mr. Cheese" everywhere he goes. Why?! Because every person he meets he adds quality to! Every paramedic, every nurse is not left untouched by his smile, by his faith and his hope."

Thanks ladies!  i know this was a lot to read, but i'm positive he would so much appreciate the support!

You can check out his facebook page that his friends and family made for him to help get him nominated for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: 

http://www.facebook.com/JoelJacksonEMHE?ref=ts

Also, check out this AMAZING video of Joel thanking everyone for all of their love and support!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2033087184986

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yostastic
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM

BUMP!

StephanAndCoral
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:25 AM

BUMP!

yostastic
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:30 AM

BUMP!

yostastic
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM

BUMP!

OrionsMyBabyman
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hayvensmommy07
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OhSara87
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
potchynok
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avetay
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM
What a story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavenly1462
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)