Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

kinda venting here, am i in the wrong

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:41 AM
  • 16 Replies

i have an 8 month old daughter and she loves to crawl around everywhere so it is really hard to get her to sit in her bouncer or walker. well when she does sit in either one with no fussiness, i finally have a minute to get stuff done. well there is always alot of family at the house and it seems like as soon as i get dd situated and i am doing something someone wants to hold her, so they pick her up and hold her for like 5 seconds and then instead of trying to put her back into the bouncer/walker they bring her immediatley to me (remember im in the middle of something every time). then i cant get anything done cause dd wants to go back to crawling everywhere. it gets so frustrating all the time but i will feel bad if i tell them to just let her sit in her bouncer/walker because they are family. i dont want them to feel like i dont want anyone holding her. i just want them to wait till im done with my house stuff. nobody seems to understand. what do you ladies think i should do?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BruLeyMag
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:36 AM

my mom would do that all the time it was soooo annoying and i had had enough and told her if u arent planning to hold her for more then seconds dont pick her up cuz IM BUSY lol she got offended but geez dishes needed done or floor mopped she wasnt gonna do it and i definatly didnt need my dd buggin after i got her settled ur not wrong u just gotta find a nice way to tell them

TempestRayne
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM
MAke a loud statement that you are putting her in her walker/toy so that you can do ______. If they want to pick her up and hold her, they must either put her back in the toy, or corral her until you are done.
spcjones203
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Gate off a room, baby proof it and stick 'er in there to crawl around. Then she can putter about, being a baby, and YOU can get stuff done.

And when they bring the baby to you, tell them to drop her off back in her little safe room. 

sugareemommee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Make it clear beforehand you are putting her down to get something done.  Let them know -- if you want to hold her that's totally fine, but could you hold on to her until I finish what I'm doing?  OR I have a few things to do, you're more than welcome to let her crawl around for a few minutes, but I need to get a few things done so do you mind keeping an eye on her for me?  :)

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:58 AM

This along with baby gates are great idea's. 

Quoting TempestRayne:

MAke a loud statement that you are putting her in her walker/toy so that you can do ______. If they want to pick her up and hold her, they must either put her back in the toy, or corral her until you are done.

breezymommie
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM

I second this.

Quoting sugareemommee:

Make it clear beforehand you are putting her down to get something done.  Let them know -- if you want to hold her that's totally fine, but could you hold on to her until I finish what I'm doing?  OR I have a few things to do, you're more than welcome to let her crawl around for a few minutes, but I need to get a few things done so do you mind keeping an eye on her for me?  :)

reganmegansmom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:28 AM
I would tell them that they either A) leave her in the bouncer B) hold her until I'm done or C) I would start dictating the chores that needed to be done for them to do... They learn really quickly what to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Daisies.23
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:34 AM
This is what we did. Actually it's 2 rooms, and I close the bathroom door and gate off the hallway. She can go back and forth and I can usually have enough time to do whatever I need to do.

Quoting spcjones203:

Gate off a room, baby proof it and stick 'er in there to crawl around. Then she can putter about, being a baby, and YOU can get stuff done.

And when they bring the baby to you, tell them to drop her off back in her little safe room. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxxAthena
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:35 AM

when they go to hand her back to you just say 'oh you can just set her back in the bouncer and ill grab her when I'm done'. nothing wrong with that.

xxxAthena
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM

us too. it's the living room since our house is two story.

Quoting Pink.Daisies.23:

This is what we did. Actually it's 2 rooms, and I close the bathroom door and gate off the hallway. She can go back and forth and I can usually have enough time to do whatever I need to do.

Quoting spcjones203:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)