Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Living outside of your means

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM
  • 114 Replies

For example.... let's say you are a family of 5 (or more) and you make 30-40,000 a year, (roughly the poverty limit) yet you.... have your hair and nails professionally done, use credit cards, always buy brand name only stuff, etc...? ((I know people like this, so that's why I ask)) do you think it's FAIR to do so? Do you think it is fair to your kids, your spouse, etc to be spending money on your PHYSICAL APPEARANCE and not on improving your family situation? I mean, if you have one parent working for barely over minimun wage, for example, in some dead end fast food job, don't you think that money spend on frivilous things could better be spent on a savings account, daycare, schooling, etc? I'm just asking. I'm not TRYING to upset anyone. I just can't nderstand the mentality of people who live outside of their means and don't aim to improve their lives. How can you be happy living off other people, like family, taxpayers, etc? How can you justify taking something like an EIC and spending it on silly things instead of improving your lives?  *sigh shrug* Attack me if you want, I just want an explanation and a valid excuse for being so selfish.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thinkpink2012
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM
I know a few like that as well and want to know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cupcake_1283
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I absolutely agree with you! People should spend money on things they NEED, or their family NEEDS instead of random crap that just sinks you further into debt. Jussayin...

StarryRain
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM

We refuse to own anything but prepaid and secured credit cards for example... And I dye my OWN hair, (Some of you have seen my work, I know what I am doing! And I taught myself!) and do my OWN nails, etc if I want them done, or I find a way to make some outside cash to pay for things I personally WANT and do not NEED. I see so many people lately with this self entitlement issue.... and I do NOT understand it.

mom2twins9909

Agree

LeslieQuimby
Agree. I know ppl like that too its crazy. My family is priority looks and things o well!
shellie830
If you want to have those extras then get a job as well as your spouse :-)

Quoting cupcake_1283:

I absolutely agree with you! People should spend money on things they NEED, or their family NEEDS instead of random crap that just sinks you further into debt. Jussayin...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:43 PM
Oh I completely agree with you. I dont get it either.
Courtney610
by Courtney on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Totally agree.  I think it's irresponsible to live outside your means, which is why I don't.  If I can't pay cash (minus my house and each of our car payments) we don't buy it. 

cs_1498
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM
I occasionally spend on getting my haircut at super cuts and sometimes I'll even get a Mani:) sometimes as in every few months. We are a family of 5 and after taxes dh brings home around 48,000 a year. We are no where near hurting and don't need or use pa though so I may not be exactly the type you're talking about lol. We have always managed to keep our bills much lower than our income and I like it that way. I would rather buy our name brand clothes at the thrift store and drive a chevy while being able to comfortably save some money than have the best of everything and be stressed because we can't afford to live at the end of the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lenoxclan
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM

My EIC EVERY year has went towards bills and things that were needed NOT wanted..

Last year we got a new bed(yeah it was needed.. and I bought the cheapest I could find)and the rest went into savings and has been paying my car payment..

If I get any this yr(and I hope I do..lol), it goes into to savings to pay my car payment...

I've never went and bought expensive clothes, or hair do's, or routine nails.. I definitely don't pretend to live outside my means and I don't take advantage of the system(ex: I was buying Nikes when we were on FS way back when.. I was shopping at the resale shop..LOL)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)