Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM
  • 8 Replies

So last night me and DH watched a movie (life as we know it) and it got us thinking to start a will and all that stuff and who we would leave our kids to in case we ever died

Problem......NONE of our family is anywhere NEAR desireable people to leave our children with. NOINE. The nest would be my mom, but her boyfriend is the huge issue for us.

We literally have no one. Today he said hey we could ask our friends  A and B to be their godparents and such. I told him yeah that would be great....but we need their permission and such first.

Anyway.......what would you guys do if you were in our situation, family is shitty, No one on either side of the family is desirable to take them at all but you have these friends

Do you guys have anything like this planned out?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
karla85
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM
I would probably don't die. Lol, seriously though I have no idea what I would if no one in my family was suitable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM

If they are really close friends, and they were ok with it then I would designate them guardians. You never know what will happen. If anything happens to me I have a will and guardianship paperwork already drawn up and they will go to a family member

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Friends would be fine. And yes we have a will. If we are both dead, my cousin is going to take them in. They love her so much and she loves them. I trust her fully. She also has the means and the room to take them in. she and I have very similar parenting styles.
PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM

I need it to be in legal documents that my kids would go with my mom. I would ask friends if my family was crappy.

MrsDex
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Yea, close friends if no family works. We need to do that, soon. We cannot agree on the family member though... ugh

ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM

thanks ladies! my husband will call them and ask them and such. Other details will need to be worked out (our house, any debt, cars ect...) i have a pretty general idea as to what i want done with everything

army_wifey_06
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Ahhh I hate thinking about this kind of stuff :( It makes me sad. If you don't have any family that you trust at all then I would do close friends that you trust. We haven't made a will but we really need to! We would choose my parents but if they were too old we would choose my brother. Both my parents and my brother know this.

sreichelt26
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 4:28 AM
We talked about this after that movie too. I was pregnant with dd at the time. Still need to do it, but if either of our parents aren't able to (luckily we do have good family) our next choice is our best friends. We're already all close and we have the same values, so I know they would raise our kid(s) like we would
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)