Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Both my YOUNGER sisters married before me?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:39 PM
  • 14 Replies

Soooo I just found out that my youngest sister (newly 18) is getting married. My other younger sister got married young too to the so called "man" that fathered her children, but they are now seperated and can't afford to get divorced. He got arrested 4 times in one year, and I believe it was the second arrest that when he got caught with weed in the vehicle with their kids in the car for the intent to sell!!!!! I am not sure on how I should feel about this? I have a 10 month old and have been with the same guy for over 7 years now, and still no wedding band! I am not sure if I would say yes if he asked right now. I think that we both still have a lot of growing and maturing and understanding of each other before we make such a big decision. Am I the only one out there that thinks this way? One of my closest friends too got married at 18 and that marriage only lasted 1 year! There are so many people who just jump into these ideas that they have in their head that marriage will be a fairy tale and I know to my fullest that it is work. It is very hard work that I think a lot of people aren't prepared for. I am going to be there to support the whole wedding but I wish in some way she would just wait! I think she has only been dating him for a few months too =( It's just hard seeing your youngest sister grow up so fast!!!!!!

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
briellesmomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Marriage is nice but I want to be with someone I am sure that it is going to work out with.

Yeah I get a little envious of other married people but I refuse to rush into it because everyone is making it a fad.

racheljessee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:43 PM
Idk, I think it depends on the people. I got married at 21 and have been married seven years now. We fight sometimes but he is my best friend and the love of my life. Some people just find the person they want to be with sooner in life. And some people jump in too fast.
Sar3B3ar
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:49 PM

BUMP!

Abigail82
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM
I have been with my bf for 4.5 yrs and have a 2 yr old with him and he wants to get married I want to wait. So I'm.with you 100% I'd rather be together than get married and split in a yr or two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommajub
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I got married when I was 18, had my first baby at 19.... we'll be celebrating our 10 year anniversary next year.

It's if your not ready to get married, then don't. But don't rain on your sisters day because you think she's too young, you never know how the future will turn out :)

save the date

Sar3B3ar
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I'm for sure not raining on her parade! I'm not that kind of person... Supported all the people I listed above for their marraiges even though they were disasters. =( I am Hoping for the Best and Praying the worst doesn't happen. You never know what the future holds

Quoting Mommajub:

I got married when I was 18, had my first baby at 19.... we'll be celebrating our 10 year anniversary next year.

It's if your not ready to get married, then don't. But don't rain on your sisters day because you think she's too young, you never know how the future will turn out :)

sahm_of_rj
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM
My sis got married at 19 and we all felt like it was a bad idea - more because of the guy than their ages. But you absolutely hope for the best and be supportive! Sadly we were right and I'm a little worried about the guy she's with now, but if they get married I'll do whatever she needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I think it depends on the individuals that are being married. DH and I got married at 21 but we have been together since we were 17. We knew it was what we wanted and there is no looking at divorce.

hempmommy87
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:37 AM

I totally agree that it depends on the couple. Some people marry early and are happy for a long time. That being said, I understand being worried about your sister. I am very protective of mine. She is turning 18 next month and I'm not too sure I like her boyfriend sometimes lol. Anyway, she will make her own decisions and of course she will make mistakes. Be there for her as a sister even if you don't agree with it :)

xxLukesMamaxx
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 6:59 AM

I got married when I was 18 and I have been very happily married for 7 years this year. I would never have jumped in to a marriage if I wasn't serious about the, "until death do us part" part. We've never even so much as uttered the big "D" word. For us, that's one of those things you say unless you are serious about it. My DH is absolutely my best friend and vice versa! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)