Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time having the holidays @ our house...freaking out!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
So my DH and I are moving into a bigger home in Nov. His mother is moving into an assisted living home. She wants to have Easter at our house this year. My mother wants to have x-mas at our house as well :o. I have never hosted for that many ppl. Plus we will be kind straped for cash with the new house and all. Any tips????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ffpm10
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM
Fun!!!!!!!
Shop in bulk
Dot sweat the small stuff
And have fun!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SkylursMomma
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM
Maybe do a pot-luck sorta thing???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
army_wifey_06
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I've hosted Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas before and I think it's fun! :) Like previous poster said shop in bulk and in our family everyone always brings something. If you host it at your house you provide the ham or turkey and everyone else bring side dishes like salads, potatoes, pies etc. 

anon1986East
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Quoting army_wifey_06:

I've hosted Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas before and I think it's fun! :) Like previous poster said shop in bulk and in our family everyone always brings something. If you host it at your house you provide the ham or turkey and everyone else bring side dishes like salads, potatoes, pies etc. 

I agree with the comment above and also if there are any relatives attending that can help out in the preparation that always helps me. While I've hosted holidays at my home I've always had my sister, brothers, mom or in laws helping out getting everything ready so that I'm not so stressed out by the time the party even starts that I don't want to be around anybody. The first time hosting my mom was ready to help before I was even awake that morning - for years she hosted things solo, like when my siblings and I were young and I remember how she'd always be in a bitchy mood by the time the party started and I quickly learned it was from the stress of getting everything ready for such a large group of people.

Olliepop
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM
My mil has been doing it for years solo also. She was a total nutcase by the time we ate lol. I get along with my in laws but my mil hates my mom :/ His sister and brother bringing dishes is a great idea...im afraid to break tradition though. I should just go and talk to her about it. She has to understand we need a lil help. I just dont want to sound like i can't handle it. I would hate for her to see me sweat...lol

Quoting anon1986East:

Quoting army_wifey_06:

I agree with the comment above and also if there are any relatives attending that can help out in the preparation that always helps me. While I've hosted holidays at my home I've always had my sister, brothers, mom or in laws helping out getting everything ready so that I'm not so stressed out by the time the party even starts that I don't want to be around anybody. The first time hosting my mom was ready to help before I was even awake that morning - for years she hosted things solo, like when my siblings and I were young and I remember how she'd always be in a bitchy mood by the time the party started and I quickly learned it was from the stress of getting everything ready for such a large group of people.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)