• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need some advice on hiring a babysitter..please help!!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM
  • 8 Replies
So I have a 21 month old son and I'm 6 weeks pregnant. I went to see my doctor regarding some concerns and had to take my son with me as I have no one to help look after him and oh my gosh he was so bad! He didn't sit still for one minute and it was over all really hard to concentrate on my appointment. So i decided not to tag him along with me next time and hire a babysitter instead. But because this is the first time, I'm just so Worried as to how to trust someone else in my house with my child. I mean its no problem finding a certified babysitter online but what kind of precautions do I take?? Any one that's experienced in babysitters, please let me know the do's and dont's of hiring a babysitter... Much appreciated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bcbmami
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:08 AM
BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarapunkinpie88
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:20 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
novachick
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:25 AM
They have websites through like baby sitting services where they do background checks and all sorts of stuff and they recommend the sitters they have thoroughly checked. I can't think of the name right now but I saw a commercial for it the other day. Im sure if you google it they will come up. Gl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmc.momma
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:26 AM
Yikes, here's a bump... I don't trust strangers around my kids, certified or not. Good luck though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyx22
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:17 AM
I was a nanny for a few years and I found my jobs through care.com. Typically, a family would email me or I would email them. If they wanted to take the next step, they would set up a phone interview. They have lasted from about ten minutes to an hour. With one family, after the phone interview I went to their house a few days later to meet the kids and her husband. The family I ended up working for met up with me at Barnes and Noble and then a few days later I went to her house and met her husband and kids. So really, you can meet them and talk to them as much as you want before you decide.

I know on care.com there are interview questions to ask your potential sitter. And as a PP said, care.com provides background checks for the sitters that sign up.

Along with care.com, there is also sittercity.com and I believe babysitting.com.

Good luck!!
SaraiD83
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM

brightstar.com also has some great resources... they require their babysitters to be VERY educated and professional... they also do background checks and what not... b/c they're a company and not individual sitters like on care.com I would be more likely to trust them than anything else... luckily we have family living close by that watches our kids.

Courtney610
by Courtney on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I've heard good things about care.com and sittercity.com

sophiak77
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Thanks guys for your response, i'll check out all the websites recommended!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)