• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

out of contol son in kindergarten!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son just started kindergarden, by the 3rd day a note from the teacher was sent home that said..."he thinks he is the boss ansewers back, doesnt follow safey rules on the playground ( goes down the slide head first, climbs up slide) and rolls his eyes at the teacher and is disrespectful towards her...we disapline him, he went to his room for two days with no tv or toys)...so last night was back to school night and the teacher said his behavior has gotten a little better, but still is not following the saftey rules and is still rolling his eyes at her...It's just so embarassing, she said it while the other parents where still in the classroom listening in ahh...I don't know what to do! This is a new school for him and he is still getting used to the bus ride and all new kids...not that i'm making excuses for him...Like i said i don't know what to do, I don't want him to turn out to be disrespectful to authority figures and wind up in trouble with the law as he gets older..( I maybe taking this to extremes but this is my worst case senrio nightmare)....Has anyone gone through this before?...some insight would be more then helpful.....Please forgive my spelling!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StephanieBowers
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM

BUMP!

GabrielRiley
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
t1gger143
by Katie on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM
Go to school with him for a day. I always invite my students parents in to see what is going on. It helps a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nessasmomma
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:32 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMCorbin84
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Definetely time to set some strict limits if u haven't already. Kindergarten is about them learning to listen to adults that are not their parents, which can be very difficult for some kids. Try taking him to the park and showing him the correct way to go up & down a slide and how to play on other gym equipment, if he does it incorrectly let him know immediately that if he does it again he will not be able to use it anymore.

EllisClark87
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM
My son went thru the same thing the first few days of kindergarten! Don't worry, it can and will get better. My son went to a preschool that encouraged flex learning. This meant that the kids could choose what they wanted to participate in and what they didn't. It also meant that they didn't tell the kids no, they just redirected them. First few days were rough cuz he thot he could do whatever he wanted. He was even sent to the principals office the third day of school. What we did when we let with the principal wad put a reward system in place that he said seemed to be workibg with many of the kindergardners. Basically, every 3 hours he gets a check mark based on his behavior. Green for good, yellow for ok, ajd red for bad. This let's him see his progress and see that good choices are the way to go. I also put my own rewards system in place and stuck to it. For example, if he gets all greens for the week, he gets to go for icecream. If he gets a red, no tv for the 2 days. It seems to be working cuz we havent haf anymore problems. Hang in there!
jeepinmom4
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Sorry mama! I'm a mean stubborn mom,and if this was one of my children,they'd be grounded till there teacher sent home a note saying he wasnt acting that way anymore. Does he act like this at home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bella8483
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM

My stepson is exactly like that!  He has been getting in trouble since daycare and is now in 4th grade.  He is rude and very disrespectful to me lately as well.  But he thinks he is the boss EVERYwhere he goes, he talks back, makes excuses/lies and in the past has hurt other kids and worse.  He kicked my dog down the stairs and put a thumbtack in her mouth.  He just started school last week and he already lied about having 2 homework assignments.  I wrote the teacher a note asking that she make sure he writes his assignments down, but I know she is busy with 20 other students.  Im not sure what to tell ya though, we have tried punishing him by taking away toys, tv, anything to get the point across to him that he can't behave that way.  Well, he is now 9 yrs old, almost 10 and is still the same way.  He's been on ADD medicine since he's been 2 and he is now on ADHD and BiPolar meds.  They seem to be working a little better than what he has been on in the past but sometimes I think it is just who he is and we arent going to change him and either is any medicine.  With your son though it sounds like mayb the punishment worked, because he did act better.  Also, mayb he was just getting used to his new school.  Good Luck!

Javamama619
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM

ooo I don't know we are homeschooling our secondgrader right now (the schools where we are are less then favorable) and this is something I fear will happen with DS2 when we get to a place where we can put them in school.  My DH is a former Marine, and when we have issues with DS1 about not listening to authority he will get up extra early and wake him up and "PT" him, then talk to him about what is going on. IDK but it works for us  good luck

beachyglow84
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM

He does to a certain degree...to my husband never...to me once in awhile and to my mother that watches him a few days a week, he walks all over her and she lets him get away with it as soon as he starts whining...which is part of the problem...he's been in daycare and preschool forever we've had some problems with him here and there but nothing like this before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)