Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too much hugging?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM
  • 9 Replies

I don't know why it bugs me, but my 7 yo dd hugs her teacher alot.  Her teacher doesn't mind of course but, for some reason it bugs me. Any thoughts?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KenzieQsMommy
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Must be the mama bear kickin in lol. Sorry mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WrapNLoseInches
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM
talk to your daughter about it. is the teacher female or male? if male explain thats its innappropriate. and he should know better too.

however in elementary school i see lots of excited students hugging their teachers, just talk to your daughter if it really bothers you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
makie2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I have heard that the more a students hugs a teacher means they aren't getting enough at home. Is that totally wrong? Teacher is a female, actually I had her in 2nd grade also.

WrapNLoseInches
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM
well its true that if a child isnt getting what they desire at home theyll search it out else where. however, just hug your daughter more. when she deoes a good job, or cleans up, or whatever. instead of just saing thank you, give her a hug too. see if that changes thing a bit.

and did you like this teacher when you were little? if so she might feel the same as you did, and genuinely look up to her. sometimes your respect for someone can shine thru and the kids will pick it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ank_mom2be
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I guess because I've worked with kids that age for a long time, the hugs don't seem strange to me. Even if the teacher is a male teacher. But that's not to say there aren't some kids who have an unhealthy habit of being overly affectionate at inappropriate times or with inappropriate people. (Sorry, not implying that your daughter is in that category.)

And since I don't know what you meant by "a lot," it makes it hard to form an opinion as to whether or not you're overreacting. If it's at the end of the school day, then I don't think it's a big deal. And it's perfectly normal for you to be jealous (or something similar) when your daughter is hugging a surrogate. Also, does your daughter give you lots of hugs? If not, then that could be another reason it bugs you. But if she's affectionate towards you as well, then maybe it's just a phase and she'll grow out of it.

PISCIS29
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Must be the mama bear kickin in lol. Sorry mama!

yep could be this.

PISCIS29

CafeMom Tickers
Sweets27
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM
Tell your daughter to stop if it bothers you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
novachick
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM
Where I live that js a huge no no. As a teacher you can not big your students. Even if they get hurt you can only help them up, no cuddles or hugs or anything. You can give high 5'sschool or "fist bumps" but that's about it. Its crazy here how protective the schools Have to be If the teachers. A couple years ago a male elementary teacher was charged with sexual something or another by the parents of this little girl because he told her she looked extra pretty in her dress today. Such bs. Luckily for him it didn't stick but there have been lots of cases similar that Have caused teachers to lose their jobs or more. I'd be too worried as a teacher to hug a child. So it seems weird to me because her you just don't do that. So Idk how id feel.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hippiemamaof2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:57 AM

really? it bothers you? I'd say it was a sign of a good teacher. :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)