Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't get this..... confused w/ pics

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM
  • 26 Replies

Okay I really don't get this....  My DD #2 is in Preschool for her second year due to where her birthday falls.  Well this time last year (9/9/10) when she started school they said she 31lbs and was 35in tall.  Which put her in the 94% which they said was *high risk* for being over weight.  Well if you seen my DD #2 you would have been like really? (photo's below).  They even included their BMI and here's was 17.80.  Then they reweighed her and all that good stuff in March (3/16/11) she weighed 33lbs and was 36in tall and still in the 94% range w/ BMI @ 17.90. 
Well let me explain this.  When she started school last year she could comfortably (@ 3¾yrs old) fit into a size 2T w/ the excepations of the pants being a little short.  And by the end of the year we had finally moved up to a 3T w/ the adjustable waist pants.
So this year they do all the same weight, height and what not (9/6/11) and I guess since she had a "growth spurt" in the height, 34lbs and 40½in tall she is now @ the 32% so she is no longer at risk.

I just don't get it.  I mean my daughter has always been the tiniest thing in her class and her brother (2½ yrs old) weighs 2lbs less then her.  IDK I don't see much of a change except height...  How can it flacuate so much and they can say she is at risk when as you can see she hardly ever puts on weight.  KWIM

Here's her from Last year September/October 2010

Her in March/April 2011

Her this year August/Septemer 2011

IDK   I guess my question is have any of you had the mixed results as I would call them that just don't make since for your children?

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
i.m.r.
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM
That's weird. She looks perfectly normal to me. I was really tall when I was a kid too and probably weighed about the same so idk. She's no where near overweight by the pics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomOf2LilGirls
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM

That's what I was thinking but last year the school kept sending home papers reminding me about healthy eating and what not and telling me to watch her "over" eating.  I was like really?!?!  All my children love their fruits and veggies what is more healthier then that?!  LOL

WrapNLoseInches
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:43 PM
my ds is considered overweight for his age...not his height. my ds is 3 and 3 months, and is 45 inches tall, and weighs 42 lbs. for a 3 yr old thats heavy, but for his height its not. so he remains in the 50% range on risk assessments... but dr compares him to 4.5 yr olds when charting his percentages
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaimesever
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM
She's wearing a uniform so I would assume she's active... Doesn't muscle weigh more than fat? She prolly has more muscle mass?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brookesmommy611
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM
My little sister is considered overweight but she is muscular and muscle weighs more than fat. If she's healthy that's all that matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:51 PM
OH YEAH SHES SO FAT U MIGHT WANT TO MAKE HER EXERCISE! (note the intense sarcasm) my dr. told me a heavy baby/toddler does not mean a heavy teenager/adult. Just keep kids active and eating healthy food and if always on the move and eating healthy all the time and actually overweight (im meaning 5 and weighing 90lbs, unless like 5' tall) then talk to ur dr. about possible underlying issues. ur dd is fine. shes a lil bean pole. lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lind.shep
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:51 PM
I think it is so stupid that they are doing this now. If a two year old weighs 60lbs, yes its a problem. Other than that I think they just need to drop it. Its rediculous. What are they going to do next? Give a kid a gold star for having blue eyes, or separating classes based on gender or race? Ugh...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RickiannsMommee
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM

The said the same thing about my DD!!! They thing that pissed me off the most is that the doctor said she was on the verge of being over weight IN FRONT OF HER! She is 3 and she asks me if she's fat. No child should say that!!! It breaks my heart.

GirlWSlingshot
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:59 PM

My DS was always considered overweight for his age. But when you compare his height to his weight, he's perfectly proportioned. That's what's really important, so don't let it stress you out.

TexasWife
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM

That pissed me off reading it. That is in no way cool. I am so sorry.

OP: My son is 3 1/2 and he is 31 pounds. I don't remember his height. She looks nice and healthy to me. She does not look over weight.

Quoting RickiannsMommee:

The said the same thing about my DD!!! They thing that pissed me off the most is that the doctor said she was on the verge of being over weight IN FRONT OF HER! She is 3 and she asks me if she's fat. No child should say that!!! It breaks my heart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)